Menu

Scheduling Singapore???

katnorman

I have been drudging through these past few weeks with Singapore 1A. I think we will love this program once I figure out how to schedule it :confused: Could anyone give me an example of what your week looks like scheduling the workbook, Extra practice book, intensive practice book and challenging word problems!?!?

I don't do the EP, but I follow the schedule in the front of the HIG. I have skipped a few things and doubled up on lessons when he is moving fast. We just finished 2a and we are now doing the IP and CPW for a month, then we will move on to 2b and do the IP at the end.

I have two children using SM right now so I hope I can help.

I have an older ds for whom I've used SM 2 and 3. With him, I found the HIG, textbook, and workbook the most helpful; the EP, IP, and tests were unneccessary. There are plenty of free worksheets, games, and activities available online if I find he needs extra practice. On a daily basis, we do a brief skills exercise: a quick game, facts review, or CWP. If it's a CWP day, I open it to a subject he already knows. We do one problem together and he might do 1-2 problems alone, but with me beside him for guidance. I've found too much CWP can make the rest of the lesson challenging. We move onto the day's lesson, using the HIG and examples from the textbook Then, he's sent off to do the workbook on his own.

My dd is using SM 1A. In the front of the HIG, there is an 18-week schedule for each level. I use this as a guide when I input the lesson plan into HST+, but I skip the EP and tests days as I don't use these. Our lesson is similar to above, excluding the skills exercise. She doesn't know enough yet to need review. Using the HIG, I teach the lesson with manipulatives then we do the workbook together, again using manipulatives to answer the questions. Once we're further into the year, I will add in a skills exercise.

In short, daily schedule:

SM1: HIG & textbook w/ manipulatives ==> workbook exercise

SM3: supplemental materials (like CWP) ==> HIG & textbook ==> workbook exercise

This has made the program open-and-go for my kids. I'd recommend following the HIG schedule, but dropping the IP and CWP until later. If you get to the point where the lessons are progressing quickly, then I'd recommend bring in CWP as a "fun" activity before the lesson.

On a weekly basis, the HIG and workbook parts don't change, but I try to follow this schedule for supplemental activities for SM3:

Mon & Wed & Fri: CWP

Tues & Thurs: Fact Drill/Game

Satori Smiles also has a fantastic blog post on her SM lessons.

We are also doing 1a with miquon. We open with a miquon sheet, do the lesson, talk through the text and then I sit next to her as she does the workbook. When we get through the rest of the addition and subtraction in 1a (We just did numbers beyond 10), I will buy the IP and CWP to use a little behind where we are.

I just use the HIG, textbook and the workbook. This is my second time around with Singapore.

I do math 5 days a week. I do a quick perusal of the HIG to see if there are any suggested 'extra' things to do. I teach the lesson from the text book and then have him do the lesson in the workbook.

That is about it. I do have him do all the reviews etc as they come.

edited to add: I have him do all the problems in the text with me sitting right there. If it is obvious that he understands the lesson, I will cut it short and let him move on to the workbook.