Menu

Math U See...opinions please?

The DVD is integral to the program. It was originally meant for the teacher to watch and then teach the student. I watch it with my student.

All the information covered in the DVD and more is presented also in the teacher's guide, but I wouldn't try to use the teacher's guide without the DVD. They are not sold separately. You would need to purchase them together anyway.

I love the DVD. We watch together too. He explains things much better than I could, and it saves me a lot of prep time. Also, we can rewind if we didn't catch something the first time and have him say it again. And again. And again. Until we understand.

MUS has worked well for both of my kids with their special needs. Our issues are different from yours, but I would guess it would work well for you too.

I'm not impressed with it, but it seems to be sort of working for my youngest, better than anything else is right now.

It is not a good program for kids who memorize easily because those kids are going to get a long way through the program on rote memory and may not pick up the concepts. MUS was disastrous for my oldest because of this and it took her a long time to recover from it. Miquon followed by Singapore worked wonderfully for her.

My youngest is using the Algebra I program right now. I tried the Prealgebra level last year and we used the DVD, but I always had to explain the lesson too because she never got it from the way that Demme taught the lesson. I didn't get the dvd this time and she's doing better just learning the lesson from me.

It works very well for us. DS began with Alpha two years ago and just started Delta this week. He gets excited whenever he gets to watch a new lesson. We usually watch the DVDs with the blocks (though their use is becoming more and more rare) and a whiteboard or doodle board at hand so he can work the problems alongside Mr. Demme, and he begs me to pause the video after he thinks he understands the concept so he can see if his answer will match the answer they eventually get.

The only down side of the curriculum for us is that the repetition can become overwhelming. There are times I have to set it aside or work only one or two problems on a page each day because the sheer number of the same type of problem is too much. I do NOT do every page of every lesson to begin with, but when you're dealing with a dozen multiple-digit multiplication problems, even one page can be too many. I adjust accordingly, and we move on.

We use MUS here. I have a GT child using it, a ASD child using it and two brightish children using it. They all love it. My ASD ds10 loves everything but the writing. The others like that once they prove they have grasped the concept they can move on. We require 96% accuracy.

We use MUS here. I have a GT child using it, a ASD child using it and two brightish children using it. They all love it. My ASD ds10 loves everything but the writing. The others like that once they prove they have grasped the concept they can move on. We require 96% accuracy.

My Aspie hates the writing too, but he hates all writing so that's not specific to MUS. And he definitely likes that he can move on once he's proven he gets it. And I like that it's set up that way too.

My 12 yo Aspie is doing very well using MUS. I only started homeschooling him in the middle of last year and kept finding holes in his knowledge. Between that and his apparent guessing at all math problems, we started this school year in Alpha. We just started Gamma this week.

He's finally stopped guessing and sneaking ways to count on his fingers. :001_smile: My DS is horrible at memorizing math tables, so I know he's not getting through MUS simply by memorizing lots of stuff.

We watch the DVD together. My DS really enjoys teaching the lesson back to me afterwards to show that he's really learned it. The DVDs were originally designed, however, for the parent to watch. Then the parent teaches the child without the DVD. If I ever switch to that method, I'll still want the DVDs. I'm not a math person, and I understand the concepts better with the TM and the DVDs. I don't think I'd do well with just the TM.