Menu

Unemployment Question

I am needing to reduce my schedule at work to be able to take care of my kids. I have asked for a schedule change to meet this need but I don't think they are going to approve it. I think I am going to have to choose between keeping my current schedule (which doesn't work) and a leave of absence until I can figure something out.

If I took a leave of absence would I qualify for unemployment? I can get a doctor's note that would justify why I am home schooling them and thus the need to be with them.

My preference is to work part time as this is a good job but I just don't think they are going to allow it.

thanks

I'm not an expert in every state, but based on my experience with Department of Labor claims in multiple states as part of a corporate HR team I'd say no. I don't know of any state where anything short of actual unemployment for a qualifying reason would make you eligible for benefits. LOA does not count.

I didn't think so and again, it's not what I want. I want to work part time and I am hoping that they can switch the shift for me. I have to change the schedule some way but I don't want to be forced to quit either. I really want to be able to go back to the job when I can.

Thanks for the info

I don't know if the laws vary state to state, but here in Minnesota, if you need time off of work to care for an ill family member and your employer won't allow you to work your schedule around that and as a result you lose your job, you qualify for unemployment. I lost my part-time job a few months back because my dh went through a manic episode (he's bipolar) and work wouldn't let anyone cover my shifts. I had to quit, and to my surprise, I would have qualified for unemployment. (I didn't get it because I didn't have childcare in the event I was offered a new job, but that's a whole different thing...)