Menu

Gatlinburg Cabin Rental or Hotel Recommendations?

We would like to spend a few days in the mountains of East TN at the end of this year. Has anyone here ever rented a cabin in that area? If so and if you enjoyed the place, would you mind sharing where you stayed? There are so many options, and I just don't know where to start! We haven't been on a real vacation in a long time, so there's a lot of emotion and expectation tied to this trip.

We would like to be somewhat secluded but still close to restaurants and the nat'l park. We will most likely hike during the daytime and then spend the evenings in Gatlinburg. It would be especially nice if we weren't so far into the woods that we could still get out in the event of a snowstorm.

And if you've stayed in a great hotel (for a reasonable price) in that area, I'd like to hear about that, too. We're open to either type of place, but a cabin is at the top of MY wish list.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

There is a place that has an indoor water park. A friend of mine stayed there and said it was a lot of fun. I haven't stayed there in a long time myself, but dh and I took our honeymoon there and I spent a lot of time during my childhood there.

And I realize you didn't ask for this information but it is worth mentioning: As hokey as it sounds, Dollywood is actually pretty cool.:D. So if you could afford it, it is worth going to for a day.

Just got back from a Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg vacation. I used VRBO.com. Loved the cabin we were in. It was a 2 bed/2 bath with a pool table and a hot tub. We were about 2 miles off the Parkway. So nice. Very quiet. It was in a gated subdivision of other vacation rentals.

We stayed at a cabin in Sevierville (very close to all the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge stuff) called Hidden Mountain Resort The prices were not bad and the cabin was wonderful! We were far enough away from downtown that we didn't hear any traffic sounds during the night, but only a few minutes away from everywhere we wanted to go. I would recommend them to anyone.

After no vacation in several years, we went there in August. For the kids, we stayed at the place with the indoor waterpark--Wilderness at the Smokies. It was wonderful, but I don't think it's quite the secluded location you are looking for. ;) To enjoy that trip, I think you have to have a completely different mindset.

We also went to Dollywood and had a blast. It wasn't crowded at all, because public school had just started back, and we went on a Wednesday.

We had such a great time that we're going back to the Wilderness at the Smokies in December.

Now, many years ago, dh & I made trips to Gatlinburg every year for our anniversary that were more similar to the one you're describing, and I don't think we had a bad cabin experience. I'm afraid I don't remember any of the places we stayed, though.

we use vrbo.com alot and have always had great success. BUT for gatlinburg, we stay at gatlinburg falls resort. you won't be disappointed. the cabins have game rooms with jukeboxes, pinball machines, air hockey, pool tables, and jacuzzi. we didn't tell our kids about the game room and it was so much fun watching them discover it when we arrived. go to dollywood too if it is open. you can get great rates when not on a holiday. have fun.

Just be careful when you book. Some places aren't all that forthcoming on the exact location of their cabins and you can end up being a little farther out than you want. Gatlinburg doesn't have much by the way of stores anymore (unless you want an airbrushed t-shirt). It's pretty much all moved out to Pigeon Forge. Of course, this doesn't stop the throngs of people from roving the streets at night. I would still try to find a cabin in Gatlinburg but plan on driving into Pigeon Forge for entertainment each night, and traffic can be an absolute nightmare so bring patience!

we got married in pigeon forge and rented a honeymoon cabin (advertised as having inside heart shaped jacuzi-typical frilly honeymoon decor)----paid in full in advance...got up there and checked in got the key to the cabin and when we got there it wasn't what was advertised at all....it was a brand new cabin and everything wasn't hooked up yet--it was nice and all don't get me wrong but it wasn't what I wanted and had paid for KWIM?:tongue_smilie: after my "big bad bil" got finished with them they gave us the money back and only charged us for the one night we stayed in it-we ended up at motel6 with the rest of our wedding guests LOL.....just be careful and make sure you're getting what is advertised........would love to go back one day.....