Menu

Would this be overkill??

Our fabulous babysitter just graduated from college and I asked her what she thought was really needed for college. There were several, but she mentioned vocabulary. My hubby is really big on the kiddo's knowing a wide vocab. So can you tell me if this would be overkill for a 13, 12 and 9yo?

Latina Christiana 1 with their root program called The Book of Roots

AND

Wordly Wise

I really like both of these programs... but I don't want it to be overkill. The Book of Roots is suppose to follow alongside LC, which is good.

What do you think??

Oh... and a brag. My babysitter has always been very skeptical of homeschoolers. Then she met us and began babysitting for us. She said that my children can write better than some of the people in her study group. She even said that she will seriously consider homeschooling her kids someday too!!!!!

I disagree with the opinions on WW. I think it helps tremendously for comprehension and determining what the student has picked up when he reads that last section which includes a long paragraph and questions to answer. These are skills that must be learned for the standardized tests, as well as skills for college when you are given a huge volume of reading and need to whittle it down to recap. I would not chalk it up to busywork per se but the student might think it is a pain to do. :)

I think Latin is very valuable to take but for vocabulary alone. Latin helps with comprehension and decoding of words, and is transferrable in part to other Latin-based languages like Spanish and French. My children took a very basic Latin class way beneath their level, but benefited from it greatly in high school Spanish later on.

Reading very good books would be the #1 vocabulary builder in my opinion. Works like G.A. Henty, Dickens or actually anything written before 1950 has much more complex sentence structure and word choices, richer imagery and more intricate plot line as a rule. Some people think that just getting kids to read is a good thing - but I think content and form is key. Reading candy is simply for entertainment. The meat and potatoes of good writing will build excellent reading, writing and vocabulary skills.

Pam

Well what people feel they lacked in preparation for college may vary with the major. I think lacking math and writing skills are much more common. I have a friend who works at a university, and she says poor writing skills are the number 1 issue with incoming homeschooled students. And depending on the dc's major, poor math background would be an issue too. That's not to say your derivative study isn't worthwhile, but to say I'd put your time and biggest effort into writing and math.

My eldest scored a 32/35 on the reading section of the ACT & 760 on the SAT. You don't need a formal vocabulary program. Just incorporate vocabulary building into your daily lives. & school curricula

• Play tons of scrabble--like daily
  • Read magazines like Astronomy, Scientific, The New Yorker & others (cheap via 2nd hand stores)
  • Work the New York Times and local crossword puzzles
  • Use Ultimate Vocabulary software
  • Read local & national newspapers daily during breakfast & before dinner
  • Read & study a Shakespeare play quarterly
  • Use scientific names & descriptions in nature journals or science notebooks --lots of Greek & Latin
  • Learn Latin
  • Learn another language
  • Sign up for free on-line vocabulary word a day memberships & learn a new word every day--put on the refrigerator, use it in that day's writing, and use the word in conversation
  • Read tons of quality literature & non-fiction
  • Read books on etymology or the history of the English language
  • If you run across an unfamiliar word, look it up, read the definitions, & add them to a personal word journal or commonplace book
  • Use The Synonym Finder for every writing assignment
  • Began using high school level texts by 8th grade & college level texts during high school
  • Work through tons of REAL ACT & SAT tests over 4 or 5 years--find as many old books--even the ones with th old analogy sections & spend 30 minutes a week on one section