Menu

After 100EZ Lessons

sweetpea3829

This is on behalf of my bestie, who's laptop died and thus...she cannot post.

She is using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and is about halfway through with her 5 yr old.

Her daughter is pretty bright and catches on quick.

She is wondering what language arts/reading program she might want to follow up with, once she's done with 100EZlessons. She's concerned that any program she picks might not segment well with 100 EZlessons...in other words, she's concerned about switching curriculum (but 100EZlessons does not continue past this level).

Any suggestions on the best program to follow 100EZ lessons with?

For both of my sons, I've moved straight from 100EZ lessons into All About Spelling and it has worked great! By the end of 100EZ, they were both reading fluently and ready to move on to learning how to put the words together themselves (AAS).

I also started using Writing With Ease (WWE) 1 after 100EZ - this continues the writing (now in complete sentences) with copywork & how to pull main ideas out of a story (comparable to 100EZ but on a higher level).

They also read... a lot... :D

For both of my sons, I've moved straight from 100EZ lessons into All About Spelling and it has worked great! By the end of 100EZ, they were both reading fluently and ready to move on to learning how to put the words together themselves (AAS).

I also started using Writing With Ease (WWE) 1 after 100EZ - this continues the writing (now in complete sentences) with copywork & how to pull main ideas out of a story (comparable to 100EZ but on a higher level).

They also read... a lot... :D

What level of AAS did you jump in to? After looking at AAS Level 1 tonight (just arrived) I would hope that 100EZ would have them at a much higher level than AAS1. Maybe level 2?

I know what your friend means -- one of the best things about 100EL is how it does blending right off the bat, which is different from most.

If you look at the end of the book, the last few weeks the kids are reading 200+ word stories in single-spaced paragraph from -- WAY beyond what most readers will do. At the end of the book there is a list of traditional kids readers/books listed in order of increased difficulty, so she might just read thru those books with dc. This issue is discussed at the end of the 100EL book. ;)

With my first dd, we just did readers for a bit. Within 6mo of finishing 100EL she was tearing thru the MTH a book a day. We only revisited phonics during spelling. Basically, 100EL was all she needed, she finished it at 5.25yo and now at 8 she can read anything, averaging about 100 pages/day of big thick novels. The main thing is to read with them EVERY day.

My 2nd dd finished 100EL just shy of her 6th bday. Her speech and phonetic awareness is ok, but just not AS good as her sister, so I felt she would benefit from some extra phonics work. She really enjoys Funnix (computer lessons by same folks as 100EL, but blending not as smooth) as well as ETC (it's easy for her, but good reinforcement and she likes the workbooks) and I keep a good pile of easy books on hand from the library. She likes to reread the stories from 100EL and she actually reads quite well (I'm often surprised by how well she can read difficult materials).

I think one of the benefits of 100EL is that kids that do it aren't intimidated by pages of text without pictures, since they are reading meaty stories (with one picture) by the end.

So, I guess I'd tell your friend to wait and see where her child is at the end of 100EL (it really ramps up the last 25 lessons -- both my girls needed to stop and repeat a few lessons at that point, so make sure it's easy before you switch ornithology (funny letters go away). Some kids will be ready to go right to 2nd grade level books and a (phonics-based) spelling program and others will benefit from a little dawdling. :D

Hello :)

I used Explode the Code for skills and writing practice and Reading A-Z for the readers. I think both are really great, but it took some work to make everything flow in terms of having a lesson, a worksheet and a reader that all flowed together. I wasn't able to find one program that combined it all.

Have a great day!

Edited by Melis
brain cramp! LOL

When my DD6 finished 100EZ I thought she did fine with it and we moved on to some easy readers for fun over the summer on the advice of someone who used 100EZ with her children. I quickly realized that she was guessing a lot based on the first letter or two of a word - very frustrating because 100EZ is supposed to be so good at teaching kids to sound out words. I'm not sure why, but once we were out of 100EZ she was really reading at an early first grade level. We started with AAS1 and I saw a big jump in her reading level within just a few weeks. She quit guessing and went to sounding out most of her words. Looking back, it would have been better for my dd to continue moving forward with something that was more structured in teaching reading than just reading easy readers for awhile.

Funnix is by the same author of 100 EZ. It based on a reading series called Horizons. They made it into a computer reading program. It is not an exact continuation of 100 EZ but the format is really similar. Funnix beginning reading lesson 100 picks up around where 100 EZ leaves off. There are 120 lessons in Funnix beginning reading then you transition to Funnix Level 2. Funnix 2 continues to an ending second grade level. It was being given away free last year, I think it is only 25 dollars to download both programs now.

What level of AAS did you jump in to? After looking at AAS Level 1 tonight (just arrived) I would hope that 100EZ would have them at a much higher level than AAS1. Maybe level 2?

Definitely do level 1 - it hits on several things that they will need in the higher levels. It starts of really easy, but there are absolutely things in there that I wouldn't have caught & taught without it! :) We went through it pretty fast for my now-7yo - in fact, he went through level 1 and level 2 in 1st grade (he is in AAS level 3 now for 2nd). I have my 5yo just now starting AAS level 1 and I expect we will go through fairly fast (I have it scheduled to take 1/2 a school year).

Funnix is by the same author of 100 EZ. It based on a reading series called Horizons. They made it into a computer reading program. It is not an exact continuation of 100 EZ but the format is really similar. Funnix beginning reading lesson 100 picks up around where 100 EZ leaves off. There are 120 lessons in Funnix beginning reading then you transition to Funnix Level 2. Funnix 2 continues to an ending second grade level. It was being given away free last year, I think it is only 25 dollars to download both programs now.

I agree about the funnix. I purchased both programs after we had competed lesson 75 in 100EZ lessons. At the time my DS was just in tears at that point and Funnix was the solution. I just love it and am glad we found it. After we finished Funnix and Funnix 2 we started AAS 1, with readers for his reading level. I wish there was another funnix because my DS 6 loved it and now my DS 5 is doing it and likes it. But anyhow I hope this helps.

Hello there :)

When I first reviewed AAS1 I thought it might be too easy as well and it would have been for my DS10 who is a "natural speller". However, DS8, who is a GREAT reader, finds spelling difficult... it's a whole other ballgame for him between reading a word and spelling it. AAS has been a real confidence booster for him. It's given him lots of rules that help him decide how to spell the words. We did move through AAS1 quickly, about a Step per day, but he definitely benefitted... especially once we hit Step 16.

I hope this helps :)