Menu

Grammar Help- For as a conj.

Paige

My DS needs to write a sentence using for as a coordinating conjunction. I feel that I use it as a subordinating conjunction. Yes, I know that I am apparently wrong. I cannot think of any sentences that use for as a coordinating conjunction. Can you help me out with an example? I looked through our grammar book and found that while it is listed as a coordinating conjunction, there are no examples of it being used that way. I googled, and came up with nothing.

The sentences I came up with had a structure like this:

For us to go to the store, we must borrow your car.

The punctuation of this and placement, however, puts for as a subordinating conjunction, right? I am stumped. DS is laughing at me. :tongue_smilie:

Let me borrow your car, for I must go to the store.

IMO it is somewhat archaic phrasing, but I believe that is a grammatically correct use of "for" as a coordinating conjuction.

Edited to make a more pleasing sentence. :tongue_smilie:

Edited again: Oops, no, after more thought I think mine is also a subordinating conjunction.

Here's a webpage with an example of "for" a as a coordinating conjunction: link.

I hate to waste a single drop of squid eyeball stew, for it is expensive and time-consuming to make.
Edited by jplain

Wouldn't "for us" be a prepositional phrase??

If you can use "because" instead of "for," then it would be a coordinating conjunction. I think....:D

You're right, I think it is a prep. in that sentence. Thanks for the sentence- it was just what I needed to see it as a conjunction. I told DS it was used like because but he'll probably never need it other than on a test.