Menu

Starting VT with ds - anxiety, sensory issues

*Long* For the brave-hearted :D

Hi all,

I've posted on the K-8 board before, but this is my first time over here. Some history: my 7yo ds was evaluated this summer by a developmental pediatrician and an OT and found to have a sensory processing disorder (tends to overreact to "normal" stimuli), developmental coordination disorder, anxiety with some signs of OCD. He saw the OT twice a month for the summer and she referred us to a developmental optometrist because she observed ds having trouble tracking, and his eyes not focusing together. We had him evaluated and he does indeed have "binocular dysfunction, oculomotor dysfunction and oculomotor dysfunction of pursuits" and 6mo of VT was recommended. Now the vision eval was a nightmare, as ds refused to cooperate with most of the different tasks, particularly putting on special glasses and continuing when he wasn't 100% sure of an answer (he's also quite a perfectionist :tongue_smilie:). In unfamiliar situations, he refuses to try anything, and gets destructive if you persist. So the tech didn't get much out of him, but when the doctor assessed him she was able to determine some information informally. We just went through similar episodes at the dentist and annual pediatrician visit.

So after much deliberation, reading up (here and elsewhere) on the benefits of VT, and talking to the doctor's office about whether ds would be able to get the most out of such a huge commitment of time and energy on his part (and of course money, for us) we decided to go ahead and start. We did consider waiting until spring, and using the next few months to start him in Karate, mainly to give him a chance to learn how to participate in a new experience outside of the home, with someone besides mom in charge. Also much less expensive than VT ;).

So last week was the first visit and he participated in most of the activities and he even said later that he liked the therapist. After a week to think about it, however, he had convinced himself by today that he didn't like it, and it would be too hard. Today he refused to do any tasks, clutched me around the waist, tried to leave, wasn't interested in earning a prize at the end, refused to try on the eye patch, named a few shapes (this was not a hard task) when we made it clear that I would leave the room unless he participated, then returned to clutching at me, ripped the therapists ball and hook off the ceiling, you get the picture, for 40 minutes, and then when we said it was time to go, he cried and cried because he wanted to do the activities. The therapist said he could try one more time, and then he started to comply, and then clutched at me again saying "I can't , I can't." Sigh. The therapist gave us a specific agenda of activities for him for next week, and gave us three of them to do for homework this week, which I think will help. Then in the car on the way home, ds says, "Why can't we come here every day? That would be much better." He seems to know that doing something more often is easier for him. I emailed the therapist about the possibility of 2-3 20-minute sessions for a few weeks (we live close enought that we could do this for a short time) and will hopefully hear back tomorrow.

Any suggestions about how to get through this anxiety in a timely fashion? Anything I can do to not feel so helpless? My heart breaks for how much ds misses out on because of the anxiety, which is increased by a sensory system that betrays him. Bless you for reading this far!!

Edited by krismoose

My daughter was a bit like him at that age. Only, she would usually shut down and refuse to interact with anyone. We finally determined that I could not be in the room with her for any type of therapy.

The craniosacral therapist I have been taking her to puts this down to an immature nervous system that does not allow her to fully realize she is a separate person from me (she is now almost 10 and there are still issues, and we have not always homeschooled). Based on her suddenly emerging stubborness and defiant attitudes, I can say that she is starting to realize she is her own entity.

Hope things calm down for you two soon.

If they don't feel like they can do daily sessions with him (which I can understand), then it might help to make sure you're doing the homework with him daily. So you had no homework the first week? My ds does something similar with speech, and it's because our sessions are less frequent. They really need that routine to get over that hump. Now our VT place does therapy twice a week for 1/2 sessions, unless you're traveling a long way. So even going to twice a week with him and then you doing it every day at the same time as the appointments might help.

For my ds, I let him sit on my lap, facing out. These therapies ARE hard work, and sometimes they need that extra something to help them not wig out. But that's just him. I know other families do it like acat said, leaving the room and letting the therapist and child sort it out. Our therapist puts it that the child has to come to the point where he knows he won't get his way. Unfortunately, if the sessions are infrequent (like your ds is saying every day would help, very intuitive), I think they forget that lesson in the stretch. And therapy is so expensive, you can't afford to throw sessions, ugh. I think either way *can* work in the end, but you just have to listen to your heart and your child.

Thank you all for your thoughts...can you tell I was frustrated when I wrote that last night? :001_smile: The VT got back to me, and her schedule does not allow for half-sessions, but we could schedule another full one each week. :tongue_smilie: She wants to try showing me all the new exercises to do with ds all week, then review them with him the following week, which I think he'll do if he's been practicing all week. We'll see how it goes :D

one 1 michele, itsheresomewhere, and Fairprospects, I sent an email off to the dev. ped. who diagnosed the anxiety to see what is involved in direct treatment for the anxiety itself, and what she thinks about it. I also ordered My Anxious Mind for my info, at least, as my ds is probably too young for it. Thanks for the suggestions! :001_smile:

FairProspects, what was the OT teaching your ds? I meant to write in the original post that he saw the OT twice a month until last week, and we were really focusing mostly on figuring out his sensory needs, and planning for building his upper body strength. We put OT on hold while we figure the VT out, mainly because the OT is a much longer drive than VT, and we're doing our best to alter our home to include the activities and exeriences that help him more. Thanks for the encouragement - it's great to hear that the dentist will not necessarily be traumatic forever!! Nobody I know IRL has had these experiences, so it helps to hear success stories!! :D

I don't know what FairProspects OT does but our works weekly with DS. She is helping him develop techniques to deal with anxiety. When the sensory system is out of sync, they can't help themselves. Our OT has a protocol for me to use when I see DS having increased anxiety. Our sessions are like 10 mins for anxiety, 10 for fine and 10 for gross motor combined with sensory breaks. Also, does he have core muscle weakness?

I don't know what FairProspects OT does but our works weekly with DS. She is helping him develop techniques to deal with anxiety. When the sensory system is out of sync, they can't help themselves. Our OT has a protocol for me to use when I see DS having increased anxiety. Our sessions are like 10 mins for anxiety, 10 for fine and 10 for gross motor combined with sensory breaks. Also, does he have core muscle weakness?

Yes, we are working on strengthening his upper body and core as well. Can you give me examples of the techniques he is learning to use to deal with anxiety? I emailed the OT about it this morning, but she suggested things like using a slant board or working standing up, which is not really what I'm looking for. Maybe if I can be more specific, she can help me out.