Menu

need ideas for two cold appetizer recipes that can be made 2 days ahead of time

We are hosting our wine club gathering in a couple of weeks. Ds is leaving for camp on a Friday and wine club is the next evening. It is a half day's journey to and from taking him to camp, so I will be a little pressed for time. I have figured out a schedule to get the "meal" prepared, tables set, etc. without *too* much stress, but I really need to be able to make a couple of appetizers on Thursday to serve on Saturday. Oven space is at a premium

(12 in the wine club), and it is getting hot here, too, so I would prefer cold appetizers. Also, (just to be REALLY difficult) I like more of the pick-up type appetizers instead of dips/spreads, etc. I just think they are easier to handle. Our dinner is going to be either shrimp scampi or pork tenderloin (haven't decided which yet) stuffed portabello mushrooms (they are stuffed with a mixture of long-grain and wild rice, cream cheese, pesto, topped with tomato slice and Parmesan cheese), bread, spinach and strawberry salad and a chocolate dessert.

Any ideas/suggestions/recipes?

Thanks!

I would just serve antipasto. Marinated artichoke hearts, provolone, olives, proscuitto, roasted peppers, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes stacked with fresh mozarell, drizzled with really good balsamic vinegar, and a sprig of basil on top. These items are not mixed together, but served on a platter. Serve with really good rustic bread, thinly sliced and maybe some water crackers.

We are hosting our wine club gathering in a couple of weeks. Ds is leaving for camp on a Friday and wine club is the next evening. It is a half day's journey to and from taking him to camp, so I will be a little pressed for time. I have figured out a schedule to get the "meal" prepared, tables set, etc. without *too* much stress, but I really need to be able to make a couple of appetizers on Thursday to serve on Saturday. Oven space is at a premium

(12 in the wine club), and it is getting hot here, too, so I would prefer cold appetizers. Also, (just to be REALLY difficult) I like more of the pick-up type appetizers instead of dips/spreads, etc. I just think they are easier to handle. Our dinner is going to be either shrimp scampi or pork tenderloin (haven't decided which yet) stuffed portabello mushrooms (they are stuffed with a mixture of long-grain and wild rice, cream cheese, pesto, topped with tomato slice and Parmesan cheese), bread, spinach and strawberry salad and a chocolate dessert.

Any ideas/suggestions/recipes?

Thanks!

Herbed cream cheese pinwheels are supposed to be made at least a day ahead...two days wouldn't hurt, would it?

Jo

My personal favorite:

Mix a couple of cans of crabmeat with your favorite cocktail sauce. Dump into a fine mesh strainer to get the "wet" off. Put in a bowl.

Whip some cream cheese until it's pliable. Dollop it onto good crackers leaving a divot in the middle (or squeeze it with a frosting tube if you're feeling artful).

Plop some of the cocktail sauce-y crabmeat on top of the cream cheesed cracker.

They are divine.

asta

Gosh, I was freaking out when I could get on yesterday! :lol:

All of these sound yummy, but I think the antipasto (a?) sounds the VERY easiest and it will present well, too! I will definitely be saving the crab spread for another time (I'm going with the scampi, so feared this would be seafood overkill).

Thanks, again!