Menu

Another fitness video request...

My request is this... I am 35 pounds overweight. I have 3 months to knock a hole in the weight. I think an hour will be too long, as I have to wake up early and do it before school, so 1/2 hour would be more feasible. Variety would be good. I have considered the new TaeBo 24/7 set, but haven't heard the best reviews. I like the idea of working my arms as well as my whole body. I am in moderate shape. I walk/run approx. 30 minutes regularly (walking more than running), which hasn't done much for my weight. Thanks for the tips.

As far as fitness videos go, I love dance videos. I can't think of any specific ones off the top of my head, but I know our library has a great collection in the fitness section. Don't get those Carmen Electra strip dancing workout dvds, though. It's not the greatest workout, and she's really annoying. There were some Beachbody videos from our library, dance workouts, that I remember loving, but I can't remember the name of them.

I used to do a lot of Tae Bo. As a person who studied martial arts for several years, I can say that very little of it is "real" martial arts. It is an awesome workout and builds a fair amount of muscle, but most of the videos are mind-numbingly boring, and if you haven't done any martial arts before you start them, you're going to be sore in a lot of places you didn't know you had.

My suggestion is to try Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred. It is only about 20-30 minutes. She definitely has you work arms and legs at the same time. It has three levels for an nice variety.

I tried that for a couple of days. Nearly killed me. That woman is a sadist.

30 minute videos for the whole body:

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/self-magazine-bikini-ready-fast-7449

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/crunch-boot-camp-training-7266

30 minute beginner Pilates for lower body and abs:

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/crunch-pick-your-spot-pilates-7030

DVDs with two workouts to alternate lower and upper body focus:

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/crunch-total-resculpt-7576 (shorter workouts)

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/results-10-days-to-a-better-body-5591 (35 min each)

You can see clips and read reviews. Several are available through Netflix, or check your library. Hope this helps!

Have you seen this recent one?

I don't know if any exercise program will help with weight. Not by itself. Unless you seriously restrict intake, particularly if you wish to lose all the weight within 3 months.

ss_01_WtLossMyths.jpg

Someone here posted this a while back:

"Great bodies are made in the kitchen and improved in the gym."

My suggestion is to try Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred.

Yes, this is a very good one. Just be careful of injury. Quite common for many, including yours truly. Many have chosen to do modifications.

Off to look at some of the other links and suggestions here. Love these threads. :D

Right now, I'm really, really in love with starting ballet-based workouts. Can't wait to get my DVDs. :D There have been a few threads on it lately.

187be22ddf515415_BAR-METHOD-EXERCISE_4_.png

I've been getting workout DVD's from my library, which has a selection of about 5 videos. :tongue_smilie: The bigger one in town probably has more... but for now, I've got The Core, which seems loosely based on Latin dance. I really like Zumba and hope to find some of their workout videos.

Negin, that ballet-based workout looks awesome! Thanks for sharing it; I've got the link bookmarked to see if I can convince one of the libraries to order it. :D

When I had been walking regularly and doing a little Wii Fit (no running), I started 30-Day Shred and really enjoyed it. I did level 1 for just a few days and went right to level 2. Level 3 was seriously tough, but when I could do all of that I felt ready to take on an hour long video. Bob's Cardio workout makes Jillian look like a joke - talk about a sadist (ok I love it!).

It depends a lot on what you like. I enjoy the old Tae Bo set I have, but his arm work is not near as tough as Jillians. I hate the dance based stuff so Zumba is torture to me, not fun, but that is a personality thing.

Negin, that ballet-based workout looks awesome! Thanks for sharing it; I've got the link bookmarked to see if I can convince one of the libraries to order it.

Well, at least you have a library. Ours has fewer books than we do in our own home. :tongue_smilie:

It would be great if you could convince your library to order one of the ballet DVDs. I can't wait to receive mine and have heard such great things about it. I feel that this is what my body needs :).

hate the dance based stuff so Zumba is torture to me, not fun, but that is a personality thing.

Debbie, me too. No dance-y stuff for me. ;)