Menu

Spectrum--lots of sensory seeking

sbgrace

All of the sudden my 7 year old (autism spectrum) is doing major sensory seeking. He's bashing/bumping into any and everyone, pinching himself, asking me to squeeze him ("harder, mommy...harder....harder...squeeze me as hard as you can!) He intentionally hit his head on a brick wall today. He did say ow and he didn't do it totally full force and I've not seen it again but still. We had a doctor appointment and he kept rubbing his face and head along the chairs in the waiting room (ick).

He's almost hyperactive which isn't typical of him.

Does this sound like anything particularly off balance? Diet hasn't changed. I don't get it.

When he was in preschool I was given a brush for a brushing protocol. I still have it. Can anyone pm me instructions. I don't remember how the therapist told me to use it. Would it help?

I'm really puzzled.

Edited by sbgrace

Ds often has trouble regulating himself if he is in the midst of a developmental leap. We have had times where we have a week or two of off the wall sensory issues, and then all of the sudden a whole bunch of new skills and level of understanding.

I use to have the info on brushing (it never did anything for ds), I will take a look for it.

When my son used to get this way, I had him get in as tiny of a ball as possible and wrap him up like a sausage in a blanket. I couldn't squeeze him hard enough and this worked b/c I could wrap him tighter than I could squeeze.

I don't have the brushing information anymore either. Sorry!

Since nothing has changed, I would think it's a growth thing - either developmentally or physically. I hope it passes quickly!

I'm not sure the brushing would make much of a difference here. I thought the protocol was for sensory defensiveness. Perhaps some heavy work activities, along with some spinning while he passes through this phase? Ds used to alternate between defensiveness and seeking, so his sensory diet included the brushing protocol combined with heavy work. He also did a spinning activity before settling down to work. There are many videos on youtube showing the brushing followed by the compressions. Ds used to love to be squashed in the couch cushions. His OT had one of those allergy covers for a mattress filled with foam blocks. He used to have the best time throwing himself on that, or burying himself under it. We used to make up silly games using soft weighted balls, I think they were 5 lbs. Sometimes we threw them into hula hoops a few feet away, or ran races with them being held between our knees or holding them over our heads. We filled up a few 1/2 gallon milk jugs half full with sand, and would have relay races. Hopefully this is a growth related phase or something. Try to have fun with it.:001_smile: I miss those days!

I'm not sure the brushing would make much of a difference here. I thought the protocol was for sensory defensiveness. Perhaps some heavy work activities, along with some spinning while he passes through this phase? Ds used to alternate between defensiveness and seeking, so his sensory diet included the brushing protocol combined with heavy work. He also did a spinning activity before settling down to work. There are many videos on youtube showing the brushing followed by the compressions. Ds used to love to be squashed in the couch cushions. His OT had one of those allergy covers for a mattress filled with foam blocks. He used to have the best time throwing himself on that, or burying himself under it. We used to make up silly games using soft weighted balls, I think they were 5 lbs. Sometimes we threw them into hula hoops a few feet away, or ran races with them being held between our knees or holding them over our heads. We filled up a few 1/2 gallon milk jugs half full with sand, and would have relay races. Hopefully this is a growth related phase or something. Try to have fun with it.:001_smile: I miss those days!

That reminded me that my son did really well with ankle weight, linked together and closed tight around his waist. He wore that thing all the time for a very very VERY long time (years). It helped him a great deal with his sensory seeking.

Just another idea to help you get through this time.

My ASD son is a big sensory seeker. He loves squeezing things and any kind of deep pressure. We will have him lay down on a bed and then someone will lay on top of him. He loves this. I try to do it on a bed or couch to minimize any chance of him getting hurt.

We also have a steamroller machine. It really helps my son regulate himself.

http://www.southpawenterprises.com/Southpaws-Steamroller-Deluxe-P96.aspx

I think the brushing is for sensory defensiveness but many kids are both sensory seekers and have sensory defensiveness. It kind of seems contradictory but my sensory seeker can't stand things like tags in his clothes or anything touching his hands. We haven't had much luck with brushing here.