Menu

Boy scout uniform problems-- advice from experts?

My (almost) 12 year old is in a new Boy scout Troop that requires FULL uniform. No biggie except 2 problems.

They ask the boys to get switchbacks so they can be worn in our hot summers and cool winters. That's fine. My son likes them.

The problem is, he's SKINNY with no tushie. Average height.

In "normal" jeans, he wears a 16 slim and sometimes a 14 regular (if they are long enough)

I put him in the size 14 switchbacks, which are BAGGY on him in the waist, but even with the tiniest hem (1/4") they are ALMOST too short. One tiny growth spurt and they're too short.

IF I put him in the size 16 switchbacks, they are HUGE on him in the waist. So big that a belt on them bunches them up so much that his pants actually look POOFY. He looks super-Weird in them, but the length is good.

My other problem with these pants are the fading. I ironed a hem (didnt even wash them) and now they actually have a huge fade line across the hem. I've had this happen in other scout pants too... What do you do ab out that? Is there a dye we can use?

I have 3 boys so planned on using these pants through all 3-- I guarantee I will be hemming and unhemming between kids, but now I have this nasty fade line issue to deal with.

He has a board of review coming up and they are very particular about looking nice and "scouty"-- for lack of a better term. Well pressed, everything on correctly, etc...

Advice?

By official uniform, do they mean it HAS to be purchased at BSA - or that it has to be the green pants that look like the BSA ones?

Personally I think the BSA stuff is badly made and over priced. We had to buy three complete sets of class A's for the 100 year Jamboree in DC about 18 months ago - So I have lots of experience there :)

There are "switch-backs" that are not BSA, and you'd probably have an easier time fitting them - in other places...

If that is not an option - I'd see if you could buy both the bigger and smaller pants - and then switch the legs around. I think the zippers would be compatible - and then when he growns in to the larger pants - put the legs back on there.....

They are pretty easy to hem.

Do you sew? I have several times adapted uniform pieces to look accurate even though they have been altered. Our troop keeps a hand-me-down box and accepts donations of uniform pieces with flaws; often I can take pieces of these to do whatever needs to be done to the "good" item.

I also have found that what I consider perfect is also far above what a bunch of guys considers perfect. I have agonized over sewing patches only to look more closely at the leaders' patches and find that they are sewn on, and in the right place, but not sewn in the precise way that I was feeling ours needed to be. They looked like a guy who doesn't sew did them, KWIM? So I realized I didn't need to be so hard on myself.

Also - maybe the switchbacks aren't the right choice for your ds. There are a wide range of appropriate uniform pieces available - check eBay, for example, for some "old school" stuff.

Also - the switchbacks vary WIDELY in size, both the two current versions (classic and relaxed), and the prior versions. We found the relaxed was, oddly, actually smaller than the same-size classic. And there was a significant size difference between the first version of the switchbacks (with the ankle zips, which came in specific inseam lengths) and the new version (which need to be hemmed).

The old green industrial strength 6-pocket cargos ran small and may be a better choice for your ds. You could then add a uniform short like the swimsuit/short thing which is pretty cheap, instead of expecting one garment to do both.

Can't help you on the ironing thing, sorry.

Talk to your troop. Ours is happy if the boy's uniform is clean and neatly repaired where needed. Fit isn't an issue they worry about. You shouldn't need to spend a fortune.

Good points, thanks!

We just joined this troop (transfer from different troop)-- we've never done a board of review with this troop, BUT after talking to the scoutmaster and one other "mom", we've been told by both that it MUST be BSA pants, in green, but we can choose any of the "styles" they sell. They need to be pressed and neat.

This troop even requires the special scout socks. LOL

He wont wear the "regular" green scout pants because they don't have the multiple pockets. he loves pockets. LOL

And the other issue is his friends all wear the green canvas switchbacks, so naturally he watns to wear them too.

I love the idea of changing out the bottoms. I have a pair of one's from my husband, and I'm going to try to see if they're interchangable. that would really solve the problem!

The troop does have a closet. BUT-- they have a put something in to get something out policy. And I have 3 boys, so I planned on just handing things down... So I think I'm going to have to buy something if needed.

The pre-switchback polyester green 6-pocket pants and shorts wear like IRON. They are usually available on eBay for decent prices. They do run small. My ds prefers them for camp. Just make sure you ask for actual waist measurements and inseams. (The longer, more recent shorts are 8-9 inches inseam-wise. Those 4" inseam shorts are not what you want.;) )