Menu

If you've used Runkle's Geography...

We are using the Core Foundations schedule found here (very bottom), and it is all working beautifully for us without any outlining or added extras. My dd is reading the text and discussing it with me weekly, doing the hands on activities in the book, and we are following the activity book that involves memorization of the countries of the world - albeit this part at a little slower pace than the CF schedule. The only other thing we're doing is preparing for tests and taking them as they come.

This is a great course and we are enjoying it a lot.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We are using the Core Foundations schedule found here (very bottom), and it is all working beautifully for us without any outlining or added extras. My dd is reading the text and discussing it with me weekly, doing the hands on activities in the book, and we are following the activity book that involves memorization of the countries of the world - albeit this part at a little slower pace than the CF schedule. The only other thing we're doing is preparing for tests and taking them as they come.

This is a great course and we are enjoying it a lot.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thank you for this information. I had found the schedule and it looks great. I'm glad to hear it's as good as it looks.

We are using Runkle's Geography this year and we LOVE it! It is such a well-laid out book, clear and pleasing to the eye as well as fun and interesting. And just enough simple activities to do. Haven't encountered any supplies I've had to buy!

We are also using the Core Foundations schedule - it's perfect! I'd say it takes my ds anywhere from 20-45 minutes per lesson (3 times/week), not including studying country locations. I don't have him outline, but I do sit down with him and have him take notes from the text. More informal than outlining. Then he studies his notes for the tests.

We began using the schedule for learning country locations, but after about 8 weeks I decided it was going way too fast. My ds was able to keep up, but I felt like he probably wouldn't retain the info long-term at the speed we were going, especially as the number of countries increased. The student learns about 6 new countries each week, and it's all cumulative. So after week 2, he must know 12 countries. But after week 6 he'll need to know about 36 countries and so on.

I decided to put us on a slower course (and am requiring capitals as well) for learning the countries. We'll just cover Africa and Asia this year. I'm including rivers and bodies of water, and having him read a bit about each country from a geography book I have. So now he spends 2 weeks learning about 5 new countries. Probably a little less than half as fast as the CF schedule suggests. But I think he'll know these countries better in the long run. I figure we'll just continue learning other country locations over the next few years, even though we won't be doing a formal geography course. Probably Europe and North America next year. He only spends about 5-10 minutes/day on country locations.

We are also doing Astronomy this year (a short book), and it goes very well with Runkle Geography.