Menu

WWYD about this Etsy purchase?

I bought this silver coffee/tea set on Etsy Friday night. It was delivered today. (yes, fast shipping!) I was really nervous being this guy's FIRST TRANSACTION, but did it because it was a good price.

When it arrived today the handle on the coffee pot is completely broken off. It looks like it has been soldered in the past. I sent him a private message and he has not responded yet b/c I just left it moments ago. I don't want a refund b/c I got a good deal on it and I bought it for a Christmas gift.

Do you take it somewhere? Are there places that do such a thing still around? This is NOT the type of DIY project that interests me, btw! :lol:

And, yes, I don't know if it's called an urn or a pot!

I've already googled and havn't found anyone who advertises for coffeepot repair, but would it be the same people who repair and resilver musical instruments? I know someone who knows someone who does that.

post-9986-13535085621266_thumb.jpg

post-9986-13535085621489_thumb.jpg

post-9986-13535085621266_thumb.jpg

post-9986-13535085621489_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what to suggest. I just wanted to say that it looks really cool. I always think that when I grow up I will have cool things like that.

That's what I thought, too! I actually bought it for our Family Gift this Christmas. (one year it was a Wii, one year it was a waffle iron.) We all drink coffee and/or tea now and this will get frequent use.

Thanks for the great suggestions! My friend has a jeweler that she is going to give me info for when she gets back into town and I called my sax instructor to see if his instrument repair guy would know how to do this. Friend also suggested a museum as they have to repair things, too.

I freaked out and started this thread thinking that this is the guy's first transaction and he may just never respond. He has responded twice already and offered to refund the entire thing if I ship it back, which I don't want to do, or refund the amount of just the coffee pot or pay for the repair. I'm only interested in repairing it. It is heavy and nice and nicely polished.

Anyway, thanks for reading and giving me ideas! I can't wait til we unwrap it and use it on Christmas morning! I wish dh was gonna be here to enjoy it, too! (Not that he is really into silver coffe urns, but he would be into watching our youngest enjoy it.)

ETA: Now to figure out how to transport it to the repair place with kids w/o letting them see it. Cat carrier? Suitcase? Put it inside a puppet?

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl