Menu

Lactose Intolerance

Dear Wise Hive,

My dd10 has suffered from fairly frequent stomach aches for a while. We have just kind of lived with them but recently I really started trying to identify a trigger. She is my "milk baby" and drinks milk as a regular part of her life. However, now that we are paying attention it appears that within 10 minutes of eating a meal that contained dairy she has what appear to be pretty intense stomach pains. They subside within about 20-30 minutes.

If anyone has any experience with lactose intolerance I would appreciate some info - what wat the experience like, how you handled it, what is the standard medical treatment, what is the best way to cope for a dairly loving child?

Thanks!

DS19 has this. We tried the Lactaid stuff - it worked when he remembered to take it.

His solution was to stop drinking milk all together. He can handle small amounts of cheese without too much trouble - so a slice of pizza is ok, but if he wants more than that, he takes the cheese off. Same thing with ice cream - he can eat a little, but too much and he gets to have a massive stomach ache and/or inconvenient trips to the bathroom.

DS19 drinks water. We did try soy milk, only to discover he has a worse reaction to soy than dairy. You could probably use the Almond milk - it tastes pretty good, but it would be better to just cut out the liquid dairy all together.

I have used Lactaid or one of the generics from Walmart or Target for many years. I have to remember to take it with the first bite or drink of dairy. I have noticed that over the years I have had to limit how much dairy I can handle in a day. Lately, I have been limiting it to sour cream, cream, and cream cheese and I do fine when taking the Lactaid. I have never, since I found out I was lactose intolerant, been able to handle milk as it just seems to be too much dairy for me.

Good luck!