Menu

American History?

tntgoodwin

I like the idea of the 4 year WTM history cycle, but I would also like to dedicate a full year in elementary - middle school for American History, as well as a full year in high school. What grades do you think would be the best to do that in? What kind of schedule or cycle would allow me to do this? And, what textbook would you reccomend to use as a spine for this subject?

I like the idea of the 4 year WTM history cycle, but I would also like to dedicate a full year in elementary - middle school for American History, as well as a full year in high school. What grades do you think would be the best to do that in? What kind of schedule or cycle would allow me to do this? And, what textbook would you reccomend to use as a spine for this subject?

I saw somewhere that somebody does 2 4 year world history cycles ala WTM and 2 2 year cycles of American History. That is an awesome idea and might work well for you. Have you looked into All American History for an American History spine?

ETA:

So you could

1st-4th world history

5th-6th American history

7th-10th world history

11th-12th American history

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

We're doing US history for third grade, and will probably do it again in 9th or 10th. It wasn't my original plan, but the classical rotation wasn't working for us, so we'll do US this year and either restart the 4 year cycle next year or do a 1 year overview of world history or maybe do unit studies. I've learned not to nail down plans too far in the future. They always change.

I've got a 5th grader and a 3rd grader and have only now found my balance in the two histories...

We spend September-December (start of school to Christmas break) studying American history. We go as far as we go with it, as my kids love to explore all the rabbit trails.

We then spend January-May/early June studying world history. Again, we go as far as we go with this.

Because this was our first year doing this, we started with explorers for American, and we'll start with ancient times for world. We'll pick up next year where we leave off this year.

We're doing two years of American History. I'm using Sonlight Core 100 (secularly), which uses A History of Us by Joy Hakim as a core. The Core 100 is meant to be completed in one year, but I decided to add in Literature and space it into two. We will then restart the 4 year cycle with Ancients and my youngest will be a Kindergartner. I haven't decided if she will complete the whole 4 year cycle or just Ancients and Middle Ages, then 1-2 years of age appropriate American history (not Core 100), then restarting the cycle as a 4 year spread and at some point doing Core 100 when she is older.

I saw somewhere that somebody does 2 4 year world history cycles ala WTM and 2 2 year cycles of American History. That is an awesome idea and might work well for you. Have you looked into All American History for an American History spine?

ETA:

So you could

1st-4th world history

5th-6th American history

7th-10th world history

I do like this schedule, I think..

ETA:

So you could

1st-4th world history

5th-6th American history

7th-10th world history

I started another thread about the AAH book that my 5th grader is using. Do you use this combined with another program or alone?