Menu

RoughCollie!

Because of YOU, I actually spent time looking up Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier breeders this am.

And I just about passed out, bonked my head and wet my pants at the price breeders are asking for these stinking adorable dogs.

You owe me for the therapy bills!

(Thank heavens another dog isn't going to happen for a cpl of years...wonder if I can save enough change up in that time...)

See if you can find a breed rescue. Sometimes they are in shelters, labeled as mutts. A Wheaten was used in a movie to portray a mutt, but I cannot recall which one.

What do they cost in Canada?

I haven't seen any breeder websites on which the prices are posted. Usually, price is the last question the breeder wants to be asked, and reputable breeders screen their buyers carefully.

It is too bad you live so far away. If you are a dog enthusiast and do not have a broomstick shoved up your you know what personality, you would love Aidan.

Otherwise, you will think he looks like a living stuffed animal and you will be less than amused by his antics. Never mind that stuffed animals are based on live ones, not the other way around!

The first word that comes to mind when I describe Aidan is FUN! All caps, to add to the enthusiasm of the word.

See if you can find a breed rescue. Sometimes they are in shelters, labeled as mutts. A Wheaten was used in a movie to portray a mutt, but I cannot recall which one.

What do they cost in Canada?

I haven't seen any breeder websites on which the prices are posted. Usually, price is the last question the breeder wants to be asked, and reputable breeders screen their buyers carefully.

It is too bad you live so far away. If you are a dog enthusiast and do not have a broomstick shoved up your you know what personality, you would love Aidan.

Otherwise, you will think he looks like a living stuffed animal and you will be less than amused by his terrierness. Never mind that stuffed animals are based on live ones, not the other way around!

The one price I found was for a non reg breeder :glare: and that was $1250. I know a breeder is going to be a min of $1500 on that basis.

First time I ever saw a SCWT was in high school...guidance counselor had two. They looked like Muppets :lol:

I love dogs. I've never had a terrier, though. Bordeaux, Akitas, Rotties (my parents bred those 3), pugs and now a Great Pyr x Akabash.

I know we'll be getting another dog when we buy our own place. I'd been thinking of either a 'house' pug, or a Bordeaux...man, I miss those goofy Mastiffs. They're uber $$ too. *sigh*

$1500 is what I found, too. (or maybe $1800.) The funny thing is Labradoodles and similar are MORE than that!! The person that I found the Wheaten from has them tested and about $150 of that was a check written directly to a spot that does research on helping Wheatens. Can't remember what it was called... I tell ya, everytime I vacuum up wads of black hair, I resolve that I will pay the $$$ to have what I first decided upon... if I ever get another dog. Another thing to think about is that hopefully money you pay upfront, will be less $$$ you pay at the vets...

:)

How they look depends on how their hair is cut. I have not been able to locate a groomer who knows anything about Wheatens. Aidan looks like a Muppet right now, and I want him to look like he is supposed to.

Ten years ago, Wheatens were on my short list of breeds, and they came off because they cost $2500. I figure they are cheaper now because there are more of them.

I want a Great Pyr, a Rough Collie, another Wheaten, a Doberman, a Rottie, a West Highland White Terrier, and a Belgian Shepherd (Groenendael). Unfortunately, most of these breeds are not suitable for me. They deserve an owner who can give them what they need (jobs, lots of acreage, lots of activity).

Edited by RoughCollie

Its a good thing I don't have to make a choice anytime soon, though.

I've always preferred large dogs (ie our mini pony, Bordeaux, etc).

But, with my disability, I'm eyeing smaller dogs. Our pug was wonderful.

I've also looked at Boston Terriers.

For me, its everything to do with personality, and temperment though. Bordeaux, as huge as they are, are incredibly laid back. I couldn't handle a Husky or similar that needed lots of running to be happy.

And obviously, a temperment suited to the chaos of a house with kids is a must.

That's why your descriptions of Aiden appealed to me so much.

I'm going to have to admit that I have expensive taste in dog breeds, and start saving :lol:

$1500 is what I found, too. (or maybe $1800.) The funny thing is Labradoodles and similar are MORE than that!! Another thing to think about is that hopefully money you pay upfront, will be less $$$ you pay at the vets...:)

I have been asked many times if Aidan is a Labradoodle puppy.

The amount of money a dog costs is no guarantee that sufficient health checks have been done. A buyer has to be vigilant, learn everything they can about the health problems of the breed, and demand proof of the health status of the parents.

I looked at a reputable, very well-known in Collie circles, breeder's puppies last spring. The pups cost a small fortune and had problems I was not willing to pay for. I didn't trot out my breed knowledge because I wanted to hear what the breeder said in response to my questions. She lied to me about several important issues and was evasive about others because she thought I was an ignorant woman who had cash, and she wanted to get rid of those puppies. I did not buy a dog from her.

Edited by RoughCollie

i highly recommend getting a rescue dog. We have had two Westies from a Westie Rescue group. We didn't care about the papers, just wanted a nice dog. Our Westies were between $300 and $400, and that helped pay the vet bills. I found this site for Wheatens in Canada. http://wheatenterrier.rescueshelter.com/ca I'm sure there are others.

Mary

And I looked at rescues, and after seeing that it was so much to get through to "adopt" and the $$$, I decided that I'd rather not have a dog that someone else had not taken care of... This next time I want to "start from scratch" :)

I want a Great Pyr, a Rough Collie, another Wheaten, a Doberman, a Rottie, a West Highland White Terrier, and a Belgian Shepherd (Groenendael). Unfortunately, most of these breeds are not suitable for me. They deserve an owner who can give them what they need (jobs, lots of acreage, lots of activity).

Hey.. take out the Doberman, add in a GSD, and that's my list!

Oh my.. first Darla posts a picture of her gorgeous GSD, and now you're talking about all those lovely dogs.. *swoon* :svengo:

When I was a kid, I used to fantasize that our humble poodle/terrier mix was actually a Wheaton. I came close to telling people that a couple of times, but I'm too honest. :tongue_smilie:

i highly recommend getting a rescue dog. We have had two Westies from a Westie Rescue group. We didn't care about the papers, just wanted a nice dog. Our Westies were between $300 and $400, and that helped pay the vet bills. I found this site for Wheatens in Canada. http://wheatenterrier.rescueshelter.com/ca I'm sure there are others.

Mary

We tried rescues before getting our current dog.

Either they refused to consider us b/c we had young children, or they wanted to completely invade our home (inspections before, during and after the process, for YEARS) or were very expensive.

We *did* find one place that was willing to work with us...and the dog almost removed Princess' face. While she was sitting in my lap. If I hadn't pulled her back, she would have been far more seriously hurt than just the tooth scrape on her forehead.

Wolf won't consider another rescue unless our children are much, much older, and since we have another baby on the way, that's another decade or more.

GSDs used to be on my list. I don't like the angulation on today's show dogs, though. They are beautiful dogs, and it's a moot point anyway since I cannot give a GSD what it needs.

You're right, it is odd. I prefer the older style, and will get it if I can find it.

We won't be getting another dog though until we have a bigger house and yard, and the kids are older so that both dh and I can walk the dog together.

Hmm.. what think you of Manchester Terriers, RoughCollie? Rabbit loves the look of them but I don't really know anything about them (beyond what I can find online).

i highly recommend getting a rescue dog.

Before we bought Aidan, I wanted to get an adult dog through a Collie rescue or from a local shelter. My sons did not want another Collie because they thought we would be replacing Teddy, and no one except me wanted an adult dog.

So we ended up with Aidan because his breed was the best fit for our family. It took me several months to get used to having a terrier. My next dog is going to be either an adult rescue or a retired show dog.

We tried rescues before getting our current dog.

Either they refused to consider us b/c we had young children, or they wanted to completely invade our home (inspections before, during and after the process, for YEARS) or were very expensive.

We *did* find one place that was willing to work with us...and the dog almost removed Princess' face. While she was sitting in my lap. If I hadn't pulled her back, she would have been far more seriously hurt than just the tooth scrape on her forehead.

Wolf won't consider another rescue unless our children are much, much older, and since we have another baby on the way, that's another decade or more.

I totally understand! After we had to put our first Westie down because she had cancer we fostered another, intending to adopt. When she growled for absolutely no reason at my dds, then 8 and 12, she was gone!! I wouldn't have a dog I couldn't trust around kids. Our second Westie was only 8 months old when we got her and is the SWEETEST dog in the whole world. We've had her 8 years now and I am so thankful we rescued her.

Mary

:eek: Poor little lass! - and you!

Hmm.. what think you of Manchester Terriers, RoughCollie?

I don't know anything about them, but I met one at the vet last week. He barked nonstop at Aidan, but was wagging his tail vigorously. Aidan play-bowed nonstop and growled, his little tail wagging nonstop. Aidan rarely growls, and only when he is playing, but the owners didn't know that.

The owners acted like they thought Aidan was going to attack their dog, and were not friendly at all. The body language of both dogs showed that they wanted to play with one another, not kill each other.

I have owned a Wire Fox Terrier, and I intended never to own another terrier because I like large, calm, well-behaved, not stubborn, dogs. We ended up with Aidan, and it took me several months to get accustomed to having a terrier, mostly because terriers are so different from the large breeds I prefer.

The AKC refers to the terrier group's "distinctive terrier personality". I quite like it because they are fun dogs to have around, and are definitely loaded with personality plus.

Unless Aidan is asleep, he is busy keeping me on my toes, both mentally and physically. I can count on Aidan to be involved in whatever I do. This is not always a good thing, and my house is toddler-proofed because of it. Hopefully this is mostly terrier puppy stuff. I am getting very good at predicting what he will do, so I can guard against the things that would be a danger to him or an inconvenience to me.

He runs the show on some things. I let him bury stuff in the couch because that is where he always buries shoes. Otherwise, we would have one shoe from each pair, and spend half our time hunting for the other.

Edited by RoughCollie