Menu

Thinkwell Math vs Jacobs

Any opinions on Thinkwell for Algebra? I just checked out the website, and the math concepts are explained very clearly on video. My 9th grade son really struggles with math, and gets "cross-eyed" when math time rolls around every day. It is always a fight.

Before I learned about Thinkwell, I was ready to sign up for Jacobs Algebra, as it seems to start out with a pretty basic review and is somewhat entertaining, and I was going to add the Callahan DVD's as well. Has anyone done this and, if so, is there an actual person explaining the concepts in the DVD's (as there is with Thinkwell) or does one just hear a voice and view problems on a board?

I've used Thinkwell Prealgebra and Jacobs Algebra without the Callahan DVDs.

In my book without question Jacobs wins. The Thinkwell problem sets are random and there is no systematic review. Jacobs problem sets build systematically to lead the kid from what he knows before the lesson to a solid understanding of what Jacobs is teaching in the lesson. There is also systematic review in the form of a few review problems (Set I) in the beginning of each problem set. I can't recommend Jacobs highly enough.

We used BOTH (as in, concurrently) for Algebra I last year and currently for Geometry. I know, not the answer you wanted, but there it is.

I love the aspects of Jacobs mentioned by the PP, especially the conversational style and cartoons. However, we really need a program with automatic grading. No matter which textbook we use, dh and I never end up getting around to checking his work, say nothing of having time to walk him through his errors and how he should have done it, in a manner timely enough to be helpful to him. He also needs the video explanation, and while we could do Jacobs accompanied by the Callahan DVDs, that wouldn't solve the work-checking issue.

Cost-wise, Thinkwell is much, much cheaper that the full Jacobs program (text, answer key, tests, etc.) plus the Callahan DVDs. We always buy Thinkwell through a Homeschool Buyers Co-op group buy, so we get it for around $65. Then I pick up a used copy of the Jacobs text from half.com or even on this board as a supplement.

Thinkwell is ds's primary program which he does on a daily basis, but he reads through the Jacobs lessons as well, doing some review problems and the Algebra review (in the Geometry book). He also has a small group of friends who are using Jacobs this year, and they meet weekly to do the "challenge" (set III) problems together.

For us, this combo works. Good luck in your decision!

Dr Burger (thinkwell) is the main author for Holt Algebra (as well as Geometry)--2007 edition for sure, and I'm pretty sure the new 2011 edition too.

Students using these texts can view the same videos (as Thinkwell) online through the Holt site (thinkcentral.com). Necessary codes are in the student texts.

These texts are a bit pricey (around $70 used)-- but it is a good program and the videos are a great supplement.

I would NOT use Thinkwell alone... not enough organized practice--but when paired with a great text they are GREAT!