Menu

Latin - ummmm.....

Hi-

Here's my question....is there a difference bwt classical and eccel. Latin besides the pronounciation? Are the conjugations, declensions, etc. the same in each?

Why I ask...

my kids are about 1/2 the way through Latina Chrisitiana II and I really like the program. I was hoping to continue on in the Fall with Cambridge Latin. So I didn't want to finish/continue with LCII (where 3rd declension nouns are taught, verb principal parts, and more conjugations) if everything needs to be relearned in the Fall.

Thanks,

Myra

Hi-

Here's my question....is there a difference bwt classical and eccel. Latin besides the pronounciation? Are the conjugations, declensions, etc. the same in each?

Why I ask...

my kids are about 1/2 the way through Latina Chrisitiana II and I really like the program. I was hoping to continue on in the Fall with Cambridge Latin. So I didn't want to finish/continue with LCII (where 3rd declension nouns are taught, verb principal parts, and more conjugations) if everything needs to be relearned in the Fall.

Thanks,

Myra

You'll be fine! You can keep on going with your third declension nouns, principal parts and conjugations!

Cambridge is a reading-based textbook, so they do present the grammar in a slightly different way. It's the exact same grammar but presented in a more functional way. The first chapter of the book presents the nominative case and third person present tense in order to teach subject-verb agreement and present the most simple sentence structure. They then bring in the ablative case (in + ablative) to teach a basic use of that case. Next comes the accusative, in order to teach the most common Latin sentence structure, which is subject-object-verb. Genitive is taught later. This doesn't contradict how you've learned the declensions in your other textbook. I'd simply suggest using blank declension charts set up the way that you had them in LC and filling them in as you review them in the first chapters of Cambridge. You'll encounter all three declensions right away (1st, 2nd and 3rd) in the first chapters of Cambridge, so it's certainly not dumbed down.

A major strength of Cambridge is that it teaches students how to read Latin in natural word order and has a good focus on syntax. Syntax is how all the grammar works together in order to form clauses, phrases and sentences.