Menu

What do you use for living math books

acurtis75

I see "books for living math" referenced but I don't really understand what everyone means by this. Would someone please explain the concept a for me and offers some suggestions for what to use for a child working on about a third grade level. Dd has finished alpha, beta & gamma from mus & we are starting delta next week. She is good on math but doesn't care for it so I am trying to find something to supplement that might help her enjoy it more. She is a voracious reader & I would estimate reads on a high school level.

Here are 2 more sites to check out.

http://www.pennygardner.com/mathclassics.html

http://livingmathbooklist.blogspot.com/

We just recently started using living math books this year to add in a little fun and explore the concepts we are working on from a different perspective. I have a K'er and 3rd grader so we have a wide ability range. And my 3rd grader doesn't mind listening/joining in on the activities for the easier topics. We are really enjoying this part of our day.

I think math is one of those subjects where, for whatever reason, we tend of put off in a box and treat differently from everything. Living math books help us keep math grounded as being connected to the real world and just as conducive to storytelling as anything else.

I second the Living Math program. We've used these booklists for a few years now. "Living math books" basically means reading a book about math---making math a literary exercise as well.

It could be reading the Math Start books with a little one, or reading biographies about mathematicians, or reading picture books such as How Much Is A Million or Math Curse?

Just taking math out of the compartment of textbook and workbook and practice sets. Those are important too of course.