Menu

WWE2 workbook

3peasinapod

We have been through WWE1, combining our 2 oldest girls. In WWE2, I can see DD8 flourishing, and she understands exactly what is required of her, summarizing, not all the details.

Anyhow, we are running into a tiny problem with WWE2 with narration. It's kind of hard to take 2 narrations while working together. We are managing with dictation just fine (very slow). Since there are 2 narrations a week, is it okay for DD7 to hear DD8's narration before she does her own? I'm not sure if she's internalizing it or just copying DD8's? I've started having one do the narration for day 2 and then the other doing it for day 4. They use each other's narration for copywork and dictation. Is this okay or do you think DD7 may be missing out on a skill that she obviously needs practice on (summarizing the skeleton and not the detail)?

Edited by 3peasinapod

Can you just read the passage and then send one out of the room for a few minutes? and do the narrations separately?

:D I have thought of this, though the thought had been lost. I was taking the easy way out, as there was always squibbling with who is first, etc., so I guess that's why I forgot about it. I think this is what we will start doing and I will not have an easy button.

It seems that sometimes the easiest solution is the farthest away from me, and I'm always asking silly questions.

:D I have thought of this, though the thought had been lost. I was taking the easy way out, as there was always squibbling with who is first, etc., so I guess that's why I forgot about it. I think this is what we will start doing and I will not have an easy button.

It seems that sometimes the easiest solution is the farthest away from me, and I'm always asking silly questions.

I don't think it is a silly question at all :001_smile: I just think that if it were my dd6, she needs all the practice she can get and cutting her narrations in half would not help her. Also, we do narrations together with dd6 and ds4 for science (he insists!) ;) and I know he simply mimics dd a lot of the time. Another suggestion would just let one do a narration first for WWE that day and then someone else do a narration for something else that day (history, science) first, that way they are both getting narration practice daily....

I don't think it is a silly question at all :001_smile: I just think that if it were my dd6, she needs all the practice she can get and cutting her narrations in half would not help her. Also, we do narrations together with dd6 and ds4 for science (he insists!) ;) and I know he simply mimics dd a lot of the time. Another suggestion would just let one do a narration first for WWE that day and then someone else do a narration for something else that day (history, science) first, that way they are both getting narration practice daily....

This is a good idea. I think we'll play with both and see what works best. DD7 does need practice. She does well when I coach her through it, but just needs some hand holding. I hope she doesn't get lost in WWE3 next year. We've got all of this year to improve, though.

This is a good idea. I think we'll play with both and see what works best. DD7 does need practice. She does well when I coach her through it, but just needs some hand holding. I hope she doesn't get lost in WWE3 next year. We've got all of this year to improve, though.

Fwiw I skipped wwe2 and went to wwe3 when we finished wwe1 because dd wanted to read herself instead of having me read the selections to her. I was hesitant at first and was prepared to go back & get wwe2 if necessary but I think the more detailed instructions in 3 are helping her. She needed a lot of coaching the first week or two but seems to be catching on well. It's been a while since I looked at the level two book so it may do this towards the end but in level 3 it asked for a specific number of sentences and gives guidance on what each sentence should say. For example, give me a sentence that tells me who the story is about, now give me one that tells me the most important thing that happened in the story, now give me a sentence that tells me what the characters learned or did because of what happened.

That was wordier than I intended it to be. My main point was to say that I think your dd will be fine when you move to the next level because the coaching is outlined very well.

Fwiw I skipped wwe2 and went to wwe3 when we finished wwe1 because dd wanted to read herself instead of having me read the selections to her. I was hesitant at first and was prepared to go back & get wwe2 if necessary but I think the more detailed instructions in 3 are helping her. She needed a lot of coaching the first week or two but seems to be catching on well. It's been a while since I looked at the level two book so it may do this towards the end but in level 3 it asked for a specific number of sentences and gives guidance on what each sentence should say. For example, give me a sentence that tells me who the story is about, now give me one that tells me the most important thing that happened in the story, now give me a sentence that tells me what the characters learned or did because of what happened.

That was wordier than I intended it to be. My main point was to say that I think your dd will be fine when you move to the next level because the coaching is outlined very well.

Thanks for the heads up. It makes me feel better. I haven't looked at WWE3 workbook yet, so it will be nice to look through it when we order next year's stuff around March.

Something that I do with my two middle boys who I school together. I alternate. One day Brent will narrate, I'll write his narration on the board and they both will copy it. The then next time {another day} Caleb will do the narration, again I write it out and both boys copy it.

Edited by Homeschooling6