Menu

If you teach Apologia Biology as a class

could you answer some questions for me? I'm considering offering this next year as a class so that my dd could take it with others.

If you meet once a week, is two hours long enough for the length of your class?

Is there a good site to get the lab supplies?

Would you be willing to share how you run the class, what you assign to be done at home, and what you cover in class time? Do you have them take the tests at home?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Donna young.... google her, she has a Bio Apologia Schedule....

I am teaching a CoOp every 2 weeks.... for about 1 hr. we just get experiments done.

There are about 4 or 5 blogs online that are helpful... they cite each other.... Google Apologia Biology Co Op Schedule...

One is Apple something...

I have a suggested schedule of how the students should aproach each module.... I think Spending 2 weeks in a module is helpful...

However I am teaching it in different order.

I'll try to post in Donna YOung when I am done with my full schedule.

Hey there! I did an Apologia Biology class! :D

I did Biology last year, and we did a 2 hour class every week. It was about the right amount of time. On Module 6, we had a long class bc we made a pizza cell! :001_smile:

Since most of the modules are intended to be done in 2 weeks (M6 needs 3 weeks), then you have 10 days. Allow 2 days for the Study Guide and 1 for the Test. (I have them do the test at home and turn it in to me, but I talk to each parent myself about keeping the Solution Key put away!)

If you do 2 class days, that leaves 5 days for the module to be done at home.

Just divide the # of pages by 5 to get an estimate on how much to assign for each day then find good stopping places.

So you have to decide when would be the best time to do the 2 classes.

Two in one week? Monday and Friday? (and no class the next week)

Or 1 class at the beginning of the module, then one more right before the end of the chapter and before the study guide?

I have gathered videos from online (mostly youtube) that go along with the science courses, and posted them on my blog, Homeschooler's Resources.

Under the Biology tab are links other bloggers, and Applie is one of them. :) I think she may do 1½ hour classes.

There are also links to Sahm I Am where I post an overview of each module and any pictures of our experiments.

Looking over these other blogs can give you an idea of what to expect with the experiments. The more resources, the better you can see how to prepare! =)

Edited by Marty

I'm not teaching but my son is currently in one. It is basically just the lab. They meet every Wednesday for an hour and do the labs. They have a lab notebook that they must fill out. They grade it for me. I am responsible for going through the book with my son, grading the tests, etc. It is just the labs. This is a huge blessing for me. I can get the book work done, but having someone organize the labs is great. This week all of the students brought in tons of mushrooms and fungi which they looked at under the microscope.

Christine

Our daughter is taking a Apologia biology class taught by a family friend, who has been teaching Apologia and AP science classes for many years. The class meets two times per week for two hours (or so). They cover a module every two weeks. During the first week, the two class periods are used for lectures. The lectures cover the material in the text, but the teacher includes additional information pertinent to the topic. During the second week, one class period is used for labs and the other for the test. Even though dd could independently work through the materials, the class is an excellent opportunity to practice notetaking from a lecture. The teacher sets up her classes to mimic college classes; i.e. syllabus, due dates, required format for lab notebook, etc.