Menu

US History Through Children's Literature

mytwomonkeys

i've asked several question about living books and american history lately... and i apologize. i just need help. i really am trying to use books as our main spine for american history (which i already do with my daughter using HOD), but i'd like to venture off from HOD and follow our own booklist, while still incorporating their extension readers. i am trying to make a chronological list of books, and also incorporate notebooking, mapwork, vocabulary, etc. i found this curriculum and wonder if anyone here has used it. thoughts? TIA. :)

ETA - i am open to resources, advice, blogs -- whatever. i don't want to reinvent the wheel here...but i also don't want to purchase an expensive curriculum ....again.

I own the linked book, but it just arrived last week so I haven't used it yet. It does look very promising for my schooling.

It is written clearly for classroom use, with each unit having a suggested "whole group reading" and "small group reading" selections. Each unit also has vocabulary works, discussion questions and some hands on stuff at the end of each unit (for example a recipe for maple syrup candy at the end of the first unit). Some discussion questions and project/writing questions are clearly for a classroom, such as acting out something or doing debate times on two sides of a question. Others will work better for 1-1 discussion as in a homeschool. The resources section with other books is nice.

Something that might be of interest to you is All Through the Ages by Christine Miller. I bought that one at the same time, and it was really more what I need. It is just a huge chronological history book list with some information about each book. I can look up "Wild West" and get suggestions for any age, grade 1-3 specific, 4-6, etc up to high school ages for each time period. There are no discussion questions, or anything like in the first one. It is just a detailed book list.

i've asked several question about living books and american history lately... and i apologize. i just need help. i really am trying to use books as our main spine for american history (which i already do with my daughter using HOD), but i'd like to venture off from HOD and follow our own booklist, while still incorporating their extension readers. i am trying to make a chronological list of books, and also incorporate notebooking, mapwork, vocabulary, etc. i found this curriculum and wonder if anyone here has used it. thoughts? TIA. :)

ETA - i am open to resources, advice, blogs -- whatever. i don't want to reinvent the wheel here...but i also don't want to purchase an expensive curriculum ....again.

I've seen this book and wasn't overly excited by it.

You'll note another thread where we're talking about the same thing. I'm actually in the process of putting together a chronological list, which compiles the Betsy Maestro books, the BF Books American history books, plus a bunch of literature. Angela (satorismiles) has also compiled an excellent list, which you'll find in the link below. Mine will be similar to hers while adding in the BF Books and Betsy Maestro books, plus taking out a few that we're less interested in.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317213

I've seen this book and wasn't overly excited by it.

You'll note another thread where we're talking about the same thing. I'm actually in the process of putting together a chronological list, which compiles the Betsy Maestro books, the BF Books American history books, plus a bunch of literature. Angela (satorismiles) has also compiled an excellent list, which you'll find in the link below. Mine will be similar to hers while adding in the BF Books and Betsy Maestro books, plus taking out a few that we're less interested in.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317213

i saw angela's list and bookmarked that too! when you are done with your list, please share it here or pm me. i'd love a copy! :)

weebeaks, all through the ages sounds perfect, exactly what i'm looking for! thank you! off to check it out right now!

Have you looked at TruthQuest American History for Younger Students? It's got a very thorough listing of books by grade level, and I'm finding two months in that the grade levels are quite accurate. I found my copy used for about $10 but it's only $25 new.

FYI, her commentary on events is in a conversational style and it's from a Christian perspective. I really enjoy reading the commentary to my son. It's short and to the point. Then we dive into the books. She lists loads of historical novels, which my son is loving.

Sounds like you've got access to several other great lists. I just know that this one is quite exhaustive (also contains all of the Beautiful Feet books that I've checked for so far) and could save you some work. Also, there's a Yahoo Group that's pretty active, and I found a PDF on there that gave me a great frame for how to partition the time periods so we didn't spend a month on the Vikings and run out of time for the Revolutionary War. :tongue_smilie:

best of luck!

christina

I am using The Complete Book of United States History as a spine and added a bunch of books from SL and Guesthollow, as well as suggestions from this board. For example, my lesson plans for the Colonial Times chapter are as follows (subject to tweaking):

CBOUSH p 54-66

If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620

The Children's Book of America - Pilgrims & the First Thanksgiving

CBOUSH p 67-78

Eating the Plates: A Pilgrim Book of Food and Manners, selected sections

Colonial Days - various projects

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

CBOUSH p 79-82

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Meet Felicity

Changes for Felicity

CBOUSH p 83-87

The Children's Book of America - Father Junipero Serra

I'm also using the Book of Time and timeline figures (cores D and E) and the Markable Map from SL.

I'm personally not fond of that many excerpts. Sure, sometimes it's worth it to do an excerpt of something you don't have the time for (or that has other parts that aren't appropriate for some reason) for history, but usually I think you're better off reading all of a few really good books than you are reading a couple pages of thirty books like that book seems to suggest.