Menu

Notgrass World History

Does the text seem 80% biblical history than "academic history?"

When I check over my daughter's end of chapter questions and quiz questions I see very little in the way of what I would consider "world history"

I like integrated church/biblical history into our academics but it seems so out of balance.

Is the Notgrass American History the same way?

Thoughts?

just checking....

You are using MFW's WHL? right? If not.. ignore my post.

If so, then are you using other "academic history" books in the WHL package, right? Taken as a whole with the others book, how does it feel with the Encyclopedia books?

My oldest is in week 10/11 in WHL and she thinks it's more world history than just Bible history. She asked what week you are in? She's saying there are definitely weeks in Notgrass that are top heavy in Luke and Acts, but it's not been like the past couple of weeks for the whole program.

Also, you might look into the intro section of the lesson plans for a few other books to add such as Augustus Caesar World. That book will have lots of Rome and the students can use that during reading time or whatever it's called on the whl plans where they read.

but if you aren't using WHL (I can't remember, but I thought you were....), ignore me.

-crystal

Yes we are using WHL we are in Week 7/6. History of the Ancient World readings are skipped by us (per the lesson plans) because we didn't do AHL last year. So thus far, bible, bible, bible. That sounds so anti-religious but you know what I mean. I'll just hang on to see what's coming in the weeks ahead. It's very hard to add any extra readings b/c of all the other things that need to get done: science readings, math, etc.

Just not enough time in the day!

No, it doesn't sound anti religious. I know exactly what you mean -- Notgrass does have a strong church history in Rome.

I did want to gently point out that you missed an important note in week 1, daily notes on Wednesday. If says if you dont' have Enc. of Ancient World (because you didn't did AHL) then you are to read p. 10-74 of the DK History of the World by the end of week 7. Maybe she can skim some of that? blush.

oh yeah... I had forgotten, you were doing some subbing with the English during these weeks and saving the research paper for later, right? But that was one of the ideas during the research paper weeks to read and the suggestion is either "anything" or something like Augustus Caesar World to add in more non fiction, non Christian perspective about the time of ancient Rome and to do that book (which was used in MFW's 4th-8th grade programs so the reading level isn't that bad.)

oh well. It will all equal out. She's only 9th grade and it'll work out. I don't know if Notgrass American is like this or not. MFW doesn't use that book so I'll never know.

-crystal

Hi,

We're doing WHL now, too!

I think the beginning of WHL covers the time of Jesus, including Notgrass coverage of some of the key figures of that time period, too. (In the beginning of AHL, Notgrass covered the Old Testament/ origins of history quite a bit, too.)

And like Crystal said, other things are added to cover more of the secular history, such as reading about Julius Caesar, a LOT in the Usborne or DK book, & the extensive timeline figures. I do like that the time of Jesus is covered in depth during the chronological time period, since I think that world-changing point of history is often under-representned, but I also like that Marie adds some more to the wider picture.

And I have a feeling things will change once the time of Jesus has been covered thoroughly, but you could always peek ahead and find out :)

Julie