Menu

what to take senior year

I know... it is only October, but trying to figure out what my oldest should take senior year. Obviously, he will have a say but trying to figure out pros and cons each way. This is what he will have at the end of this year:

Math

Alg I- 8th grade

Alg II

Geometry

Precalc

AP Stats

English

English I

English II

English III- Possibly taking the AP lit exam at the end of the year...not sure whether he will be ready or not

CS Lewis- semester class

Science

Biology-8th grade

Chemistry

Physics

AP Chemistry

History

19th century World History

20th Century World History

AP Government

* Had him take the SAT II American history exam last year since it looks like he hasn't had american history but with TOG he really has. He scored a 730.

Foreign Language

2 years high school Spanish with SOS

Spanish I at CC

Spanish II at CC

Electives

Logic ( entire year

Driver's Ed- Semester

Health- Semester

Racquetball

We had hoped to do computer programming this year, but honestly it hasn't fit yet. He might still do some kind of book work in the spring semester once Health is finished.

So his senior year:

Spanish 3 and 4 at CC

AP Calculus AB with PA Homeschoolers

AP Physics with PA Homeschoolers

Those classes are pretty much set. HE wants to major in computer science and is looking at taking Calc I, II, III as well as Phys I, II, and III when he does to college, so I think he needs to have those upper level classes. Wondering though whether Calculus should be AP Calculus BC...

I feel like he should take some kind of computer programming class, but AP Computer with PA Homeschoolers looks like they have to meet daily with some kind of live class. I'm not sure that would work with CC. He could take computer classes at KC.. I'm sure they would be easy, wouldn't transfer but at least he would have some work. He and I have both loved the look of AP Economics. The class looks really fun and only goes from Sept- February. That could be his history credit. English... he could take it at the CC. I need to find out if it will transfer, however. Baylor didn't list any freshman English course that would transfer for their English. Upper level, yes. An AP 4 or 5 as well as a good SAT score would place him out of freshman English.. I will probably be starting over with TOG year 1 next year, so I could do Ancient history with him instead of the Economics. In fact, we might skip all the biblical history stuff and do part of year 2 as well and have him do the SAT II World history exam??? Just not enough time.... I don't want to kill him, but then his load at college will be tough anyway. So it might be:

Spanish 3 and 4 at cc

2 Computer programming classes at cc

AP Calculus AB

AP Physics B

AP Economics OR TOG Ancient history

English IV with me looking to a CLEP exam??? OR Eng. I and II at cc

What says the hive????

Christine

I know it doesn't look like he has fine arts credits. However in his activities he plays the piano and does some competitions. He also does audio/visual stuff for our church during worship and special concerts. I always meant to do an art appreciation ( especially since we went to the Louvre last year) or music appreciation, but we could never seem to get it to fit.

Christine

Any reason why you don't want him completely at the cc as a senior? He will get more credits that way and it will help with the problem of home class times cutting into college class times. Most of the people I know send their homeschooled seniors to the cc, it cuts one to two semesters off of their college careers. You have several AP classes, but isn't the reason for AP classes to get college credit?

Any reason why you don't want him completely at the cc as a senior? He will get more credits that way and it will help with the problem of home class times cutting into college class times. Most of the people I know send their homeschooled seniors to the cc, it cuts one to two semesters off of their college careers. You have several AP classes, but isn't the reason for AP classes to get college credit?

Yep...because this cc is REALLY easy..as far as I can tell so far. If he were to take Calc I at the cc and then try to take Calc II at Baylor, he would have a really tough time. He will learn SO much more in the AP classes. Over half of the students at this cc are in remedial classes of some kind. To me, it seems high school material maybe.

Christine

I did zero dual enrollment because I liked my classes better. :) Ds went straight to a four year, other than being in math/science when he is better suited for liberal arts, it went fine. I do think our classes at home were harder than at the cc. His friends (and their moms) said I was killing him, but ds said that is what he wanted. Dd is a senior, and I am probably going to do the same with her. She is liberal arts type as well. I am using this year to get her ready for college. With ds here because he is going to a local college (dd is going there as well), it really helps. We are using some of his textbooks and letting her learning curve happen some this year. I pulled her out of Apologia and we are using ds's anatomy book. She takes much longer to do the work, but has already noticed the step up in critical thinking. So she can take her time really thinking, rather than spitting terms out on the tests.

I have been reading the other thread, very interesting! Sounds like you know what to do, hope you can get the times to work out.

Hello,

I can't really comment from experience on the rest of your question but I can highly recommend IEW's Speech Bootcamp for his initial experience with public speaking. Get together at least 3 young adults, pop in the DVD, find something like a podium or lecturn so they can work through NOT gripping it ;) and have fun.

We are almost done with it and it has been amazing. Every week there is a panic about "Oh! I should have picked a different topic!" or "I can't do this!" and then I just require that they push through, reminding them we are a "safe" audience and that many people never even try to do something like this. Now I see so much progress and they do too. Good luck!

Aloha,

Kristin

Edited by beautifulbooks
Typos

I did zero dual enrollment because I liked my classes better. :) out.

Yeah..I did too in the early grades. But the last math I took was in high school Trig/ea. So I can't teach Calculus. I only took Biology and Chemistry in high school, so AP Physics is out too. Computer programming....ha. My son already does everything for me on the computer. He is just absolutely beyond me in everything but writing. That is part of my problem.

My middle son will be easier as his passions are literature and history.

Christine

We are doing zero enrollment also. Besides Physics and Calc. we are doing World Lit., Art History, Environmental Science (dd loves this!) and a whole year of econ. (Save the World!!!! Figure out the banking crisis!!! Stimulate the economy and recycle by buying LARGE USED textbooks!!!! Become a globally cultured person!!!!) I modeled some of the courses off AP and college syllabi but, with our own twist. You could do classes that require some sort of presentation product for grades in any of these subjects. For us, this year had a few opportunities to get away from "core classes" but, I try for "core skill" emphases in product.....in our case response and evaluative writing.

So it might be:

Spanish 3 and 4 at cc

2 Computer programming classes at cc

AP Calculus AB

AP Physics B

AP Economics OR TOG Ancient history English IV with me looking to a CLEP exam??? OR Eng. I and II at cc

What says the hive????

Christine

Hi Christine,

I think your plan looks great! It does look like a heavy load, but it should prep him well for college. My ds is a Comp Sci major and he took many of the same kinds of courses. A few thoughts for you:

The computer programming elective is good--it will smooth the way for your ds in college. If you don't like the CC's offering or the scheduling is too complex, another option (which my ds did) would be Stanford EPGY's Introduction to C Programming http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/cs/

Of course, that adds more cost :tongue_smilie:.

I'm not sure whether I'd do Calc BC or not... BC might look better on the transcript if your ds is applying to extremely selective schools, but it might be more intense, and your ds's load is heavy already. In either case, your ds's college should place him appropriately in their calculus series.

AP Econ would be good to do... could you do AP Econ first semester, and then a shortened version of Ancient History second semester? (I'm not familiar with TOG, so don't know if that would work, but it might give him the benefit of both--and a little less pressure that last semester) I wouldn't bother with the SAT II in World History--SAT II's are usually only helpful for admissions, so they're not much use in senior year (Baylor might be an exception, though.)

If it were me, I'd do English IV at home--much more flexibility and less stress that way. This is what I did with ds. We found that any outside class added an extra layer of complexity. Unless the CC offering for English is really fantastic, it might not be worth it.

Speech was on my list for ds also, but we never got around to it.

For speech, I'd suggest taking it at the CC especially if he's nervous in front of people. First, check the www.ratemyprofessor.com for reviews on the different speech teachers at your local CC. There's also a good Thinkwell course for speech but if he takes speech at the CC, he may be able to use it for credit for the school he's going to attend.

You can see reviews on the English teachers at the CC as well on that website. I've seen some really great English teachers at our CC. Also, if you can, check what books they use. You can tell a lot about the course, sometimes, by the books that are utilized. He also may be able to take the classes online and do everything at home for credit.

Edited by itsrks

So his senior year:

Spanish 3 and 4 at CC

AP Calculus AB with PA Homeschoolers

AP Physics with PA Homeschoolers

JMO, BUT... Senior year is THE very LAST window you have to pour into his life, so if it were me, looking at the hefty credit list he has already racked up, I would go with your courses above, plus:

1. Worldview (can be counted as a Social Studies credit) and Comparative Religions. Just as Worldviews, it could be a 0.5 credit class; add in a Comparative Religions study to make it a full credit. You understand History SO much better when you understand the religious background and worldview of a nation, and of individual people. Truly understanding what you believe and why, and what others believe and why, is one of the most important things we can send our students out from homeschooling and into adult life. Ideas:

- Summit Ministries curriculum

- Worldview Academy (do the 1 week summer leadership camp this summer -- the most (positive) life-changing event for both of our DSs! -- but can also do at home lectures on DVD -- the "Worldview Academy Lecture Series - Worldviews" series with the three lectures on: Intro to Worldview; Blind Faith; Pop Culture would be the most helpful and foundational one to do.

2.Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance -- Can do it either as part of an Economics credit, or just as a stand-alone. IMO, this is a MUST for all students (and parents!) before high school graduation. It is 12 hours of DVD lecture, plus workbook. Incredibly specific and practical, this is the information everyone needs for managing their household. (In addition to the Foundations in Personal Finance, we did the Teaching Company's Great Course: Economics, on micro and macro economics; 36 30-minute lectures (for a total of 18 hours) -- very informative and easy to understand, and helpful to see how our government's policies have such an effect on us!)

3. Speech, by DOING it with a group, such as

- National Christian Forensics Association = http://www.ncfca.org/

- Christian Communicators of America = http://www.ccadebate.org/

- Stoa (Christian Speech & Debate) = http://www.stoausa.org/

- google search for homeschool speech/debate in your area

- join local high school speech/debate team

- National Forensics League (secular) = http://www.nflonline.org/

A cool "double dip" which would include public speaking along with being an informed voter through first-hand experience with government is the YMCA's stellar program, Youth and Government. (From your classes above, I'm assuming you're in PA, so here is the PA Y&G branch.) Nope, neither of our DSs are the least interested in careers in politics, law or government, but LOVE this program! And NO, neither of our DSs like getting in front of a group, are extraverted, or would voluntarily CHOOSE to do public speaking. The students debate bills all semester-long, and as a result, get to:

- express their opinions

- practice public speaking

- learn about how government works by DOING

- learn how to think thru whether a law (or a politician's speech!) is sound and supportable

At the end of the semester, they go to the Capital for the 3-day Mock Legislative Session; and because they've become friends, and ALL the students there are in the same boat, it does NOT have the same "terrifying" aspect of getting in front of a group solo can have, yet really gives them the confidence that carries forward with them to be ABLE to speak if needed. And both DSs have told me, "While I wouldn't choose to speak in front of a group, now I know I *can* do it, and because of this [doing Y&G], I wouldn't be anxious."

If you just can't participate with a group, then try speech as a 1 semester course to go with the CS Lewis course; Hewitt Homeschooling has one.

- Join an extracurricular group, such as

BEST of luck as you make your "final menu selections" (LOL). Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

AS far as worldview, honestly... we did 4 years of TOG which is HEAVY into Worldview. He has studied all of the religions and even did a small project last year with TOG about our religion and exactly what we believe and why. We have always done the church history, I just didn't count it as credit... I never really had them do papers and such with it.

Finances, yep. I'm going to lead the Dave ramsey thing at the church for the youth sometime before he graduates. Already talking to the youth minister about that.

I'm in Texas... I"ll be honest, I don't know if I could MAKE my oldest do any of those things you listed. Nor to be honest, would he have the time... I would have to somehow find and organize all this... I teach a youth sticks class, direct a children's choir, am in the adult choir and praise team...actually direct the adult choir sometimes...heavily involved here. My daughter has violin lessons and choir and theory in a neighboring town that is an hour away. That already takes a day out of my schedule in a ddition to Wednesdays and Fridays... I'll look at the YMCA. Since he likes government...maybe. I think he is a borderline auspie. To make something like that work, I would need to talk to him about it for at least a year....

I'll look at the hEwitt thing...but he did CS Lewis a year and a half ago.

Christine

JMO, BUT... Senior year is THE very LAST window you have to pour into his life, so if it were me, looking at the hefty credit list he has already racked up, I would go with your courses above, plus:

1. Worldview (can be counted as a Social Studies credit) and Comparative Religions. Just as Worldviews, it could be a 0.5 credit class; add in a Comparative Religions study to make it a full credit. You understand History SO much better when you understand the religious background and worldview of a nation, and of individual people. Truly understanding what you believe and why, and what others believe and why, is one of the most important things we can send our students out from homeschooling and into adult life. Ideas:

- Summit Ministries curriculum

- Worldview Academy (do the 1 week summer leadership camp this summer -- the most (positive) life-changing event for both of our DSs! -- but can also do at home lectures on DVD -- the "Worldview Academy Lecture Series - Worldviews" series with the three lectures on: Intro to Worldview; Blind Faith; Pop Culture would be the most helpful and foundational one to do.

2.Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance -- Can do it either as part of an Economics credit, or just as a stand-alone. IMO, this is a MUST for all students (and parents!) before high school graduation. It is 12 hours of DVD lecture, plus workbook. Incredibly specific and practical, this is the information everyone needs for managing their household. (In addition to the Foundations in Personal Finance, we did the Teaching Company's Great Course: Economics, on micro and macro economics; 36 30-minute lectures (for a total of 18 hours) -- very informative and easy to understand, and helpful to see how our government's policies have such an effect on us!)

3. Speech, by DOING it with a group, such as

- National Christian Forensics Association = http://www.ncfca.org/

- Christian Communicators of America = http://www.ccadebate.org/

- Stoa (Christian Speech & Debate) = http://www.stoausa.org/

- google search for homeschool speech/debate in your area

- join local high school speech/debate team

- National Forensics League (secular) = http://www.nflonline.org/

A cool "double dip" which would include public speaking along with being an informed voter through first-hand experience with government is the YMCA's stellar program, Youth and Government. (From your classes above, I'm assuming you're in PA, so here is the PA Y&G branch.) Nope, neither of our DSs are the least interested in careers in politics, law or government, but LOVE this program! And NO, neither of our DSs like getting in front of a group, are extraverted, or would voluntarily CHOOSE to do public speaking. The students debate bills all semester-long, and as a result, get to:

- express their opinions

- practice public speaking

- learn about how government works by DOING

- learn how to think thru whether a law (or a politician's speech!) is sound and supportable

At the end of the semester, they go to the Capital for the 3-day Mock Legislative Session; and because they've become friends, and ALL the students there are in the same boat, it does NOT have the same "terrifying" aspect of getting in front of a group solo can have, yet really gives them the confidence that carries forward with them to be ABLE to speak if needed. And both DSs have told me, "While I wouldn't choose to speak in front of a group, now I know I *can* do it, and because of this [doing Y&G], I wouldn't be anxious."

If you just can't participate with a group, then try speech as a 1 semester course to go with the CS Lewis course; Hewitt Homeschooling has one.

- Join an extracurricular group, such as

BEST of luck as you make your "final menu selections" (LOL). Warmest regards, Lori D.