Menu

Multiple choice spelling test

:confused: My son is the only one of my children who goes to school away from home. I have found his school to be tolerable (which is likely to say a lot considering my aversion to the school culture in the U.S.) but a few concerns rise here and there. I have been able to mentally overcome them for the most part, but this one just has me in a tizzy. How in the world is it helpful to have multiple choice spelling tests??? Father of Pearl says to just give him a test at home that isn't multiple choice - I think that is a great idea and I will do it, but has anyone else heard of/seen this? What is the reasoning?

By the way, he isn't there for the academics. He is afterschooled (I tell him that I am his teacher and that the teachers are employed by me! :D), so I'm not terribly worried about his education. I'm just totally baffled as to why they would do this. It isn't like these tests make it to the state boards.

Oddly I'm a very good speller, but I have a tough time with multiple choice spelling tests.

:001_smile: Yes, the only one that ds missed was one letter off from our last name, which we had discussed. He said that he confused an 'a' for an 'e' and that is why he got it wrong. He usually flunks spelling tests, but only missed one this time. They have always done traditional tests before this last one.

It sounds like test prep to me, since there is a section like that on many standardized tests.

I wondered about this, but then why would they do traditional tests at first? I think ds has a good teacher but he also seems restrained by unseen powers. Maybe he got it from on high that he has to start test prep now.

It sounds like test prep to me, since there is a section like that on many standardized tests.

:iagree:

We started "A Reason for Spelling" this year with my 2nd grader and there is a section that is multiple choice where she must identify the misspelled word. It is one of the things I liked about the curriculum because it is prep for standardized testing format (that section even has the little bubbles to fill in). Of course there is also the traditional assessment where she writes the words as well.

Another thought, I have terrible handwriting but I am a generally good speller. I noticed in school (this was before the days of readily available word processors/computers) that even if I mispelled something(sometimes on a spelling test) the teacher did not always go to the trouble of deciphering my scrawl to catch it. In high school one teacher sometimes had me help grade spelling tests since I was fairly good at reading scribbles. A multiple choice test would catch eliminate the bad handwriting problem.

It's good that you also give him a written test. Decoding and reading a word spelled out are different skills than what it takes to write out a properly spelled word. Kids with visual processing issues may be able to read a word just fine (and thus able to choose a correct spelling when they see the word written out. However, it is difficult for them to spell the word from scratch. The clue is that they will misspell the word in different ways each time they write it.

I can see the logic in multiple choice quizzing for test prep, but actually handwriting the word should not be neglected.