Menu

Artisan Bread FAIL

For the first time today I tried the master recipe for Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Recipe went well, bread rose this afternoon and I went to bake the bread after putting the kids to bed tonight. Preheated the oven with my flat pizza stone and a GLASS dish to put the hot water in for steaming. Mistake!!! When preheated I added hot water to my glass 8x8 and it shattered. Everywhere. All over the floor, all over the floor of the oven and the oven door. And everything was 450 degrees.

It's still waiting for me to clean it up. Tiny glass shards everywhere.

Yes, I should've known better than to use a glass dish. I won't make that mistake again.

Aw, I hate when I do things like that! As my friend, Brigitte, would say "that is not awesome."

(I've actually had the bread fail. I prefer the King Arthur recipe)

Definitely "not awesome".

Do share the King Arthur recipe!! I really want to keep up making bread but find with the whole process I fall behind our consumption and end up buying. I thought the "5 Minute" recipe was my solution.

oh. Oh dear! Are you ok? Did you scream?

I can see myself doing something like that.

Yes, thankfully the vast majority of the glass was inside the oven. I did not scream but dh literally threw his book across the living room, fell off the couch and sent the area rug flying as he scrambled to get up and come running :D Made me feel loved :) :)

Was it Pyrex? I've heard of those exploding.:ohmy:

I ended up changing that part of the process because it was too hot. I think (it's been about a year since I made it) I either lowered the temp or I waited to put the pan in. The first time I made it, I thought my oven was going to catch fire.

I don't think it was Pyrex...but it could have been. Exploding is a good word for what happened!

I guess I'll have to see if I have to adjust the temperature.

I had great success with this recipe using those clay bakers -- I have several I got used at thrift stores. I soak the bottom 15 minutes, cover with bottom with a piece of parchment paper and some cooking spray, before putting the dough in to rise, soak the top 15 minutes before baking, and put into a cold oven, cook @ 475F for 45 minutes, remove cover and do 1-3 more minutes. I just did the basic recipe but it was so good, especially after the dough had been in the fridge a couple days. I tried with the pizza stone one time and it was OK but I found the clay cooker method easier.

That happened to me, but months and months after I began making the bread. It was Pyrex and it went everywhere. I had to pull the drawer under the oven that I use to store cookie sheets and things and vacuum the drawer and under the drawer. There were even bits collected in my muffin tins.

I use an old metal pan now and that works much better.

That happened to me, but months and months after I began making the bread. It was Pyrex and it went everywhere. I had to pull the drawer under the oven that I use to store cookie sheets and things and vacuum the drawer and under the drawer. There were even bits collected in my muffin tins.

I use an old metal pan now and that works much better.

At least I'm not the only one!! ;) I had to pull out my drawer as well - thankfully it's a warming drawer so it was empty.

Ugh. We once shattered a glass top table by putting a hot pan on it. I don't use this particular recipe, but the one I use also involves a bowl of water. I simply put boiling water into a cold (glass) baking dish.

I'm trying again with a metal cake pan - glass just makes me way too nervous now!!

Oh no! So sorry, I feel your pain. I tried to make the Artisan bread and ended up cracking my pizza stone :(

Uh oh...mines in on a pizza stone right now. At least it's a cheapy from Wal-Mart if it does crack...

Honestly, before now all I've heard are positive reviews of this recipe and method!

I did exactly the same thing. I just did not think about glass and heat.

The bread is great... it is worth trying again. :)

Sorry for your big clean up job.

I'm really feeling better - misery loves company! ;)

The bread is just coming out of the oven - let's hope it was worth it!