Menu

English to Latin translations

Yes, I know this is the general board but I will likely get a quicker answer. :D

Dd19 is taking Latin II and is having trouble remembering word order when translating from English into Latin. It's been 2 years since she took Latin I and she's forgotten some stuff. I worried the gap was too long, but surprisingly, she is doing fairly well. She is doing a bang up job translating from Latin into English, it's the other way around that is confusing her.

Are there rules for word order during translations? Any suggestions? I asked her for specifics and she said it's just "all words in general."

I just asked my son who is in his 3rd year of Latin. He said that, because Latin is an inflected language, most of the time word order doesn't matter. Vergil could not have written his poetry in meter if it did.

If there is confusion over what an adjective or an adverb (compound subject, verb or object) is modifying then you would put it before or after the one it is modifying.

I just asked my son who is in his 3rd year of Latin. He said that, because Latin is an inflected language, most of the time word order doesn't matter. Vergil could not have written his poetry in meter if it did.

If there is confusion over what an adjective or an adverb (compound subject, verb or object) is modifying then you would put it before or after the one it is modifying.

Yup, exactly. We tend to want to put things in order so that we can systematically translate but it is not necessary with Latin. The forms of the words convey their function in the sentence. HTH

Typically in elementary Latin courses, you'll see the pattern Subject Object (Indirect then Direct) (Adverbs or phrases) Verb (subordinate verbs like infinitives before the main verb).

Adjectives typically follow the nouns they modify unless the adjective describes size, quantity, or an element of goodness/truth/beauty. Those usually come before the noun.

As Ellen said, word order is very flexible. But those are the typical rules for classroom translation.