Menu

College Algebra

I have a daughter that wants to do college algebra. However, she needs a very step-by-step program because she is phobic about math. She did well with Teaching Textbooks Alg 1 and Alg 2. I know it's not as advanced as Lial's, etc., both those programs were too intimidating for her. But now she wants to take college algebra (not calculus or anything like that), so she will be ready for the major she wants to choose in college.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to continue with algebra after finishing Teaching Textbooks' Algebra programs? Nothing too intimidating?

TIA!

Sandy

Since Teaching Textbooks seems to be working for your daughter, I would suggest she continue with that program. (Just be aware that there may be topics that she would need to fill in at a later date.) Has she already taken Geometry? Otherwise, next up would be PreCalculus. PreCalculus, in most cases, is the equivalent of College Algebra plus Trigonometry.

Regards,

Kareni

If she hasn't done Teaching Textbooks Precalculus, she should do that next. If she's completed that, I can recommend this very gentle College Algebra course: Lial's Algebra for College Students. ER used this after Algebra 2. I bought an older edition of the text and TE online from Half.com, but he would up using the accompanying Student Study Guide because it walked the student step-by-step through each problem, and even included quizzes, and the answers were in the book. He used the textbook only as a reference if he need additional explanations. He did well enough that he took a CLEP test and received college credit for College Algebra.

I can get you the ISBNs if you think you might be interested.

Thank you both! I didn't realize precalculus was the next step, and it will be great for her to continue with TT. The Lials book sounds like a good supplement, especially if she doesn't quite pass the testing for College Algebra and ends up taking it at college; this way, she'd have a good resource to support her.

Sandy