Menu

We're here in northern VA! Hook me up!

We just finished our move from Germany to Falls Church. Living in a hotel until we can close on our house in Fairfax. Have four kids I homeschool (dd, 14; ds, 11; dd, 11; ds, 9)and two kids who will be going to school (one attending Oak View adn one attending Robinson Middle). It will be a bit crazy for us while we wait for our van to get here, enroll two kids in school and an exciting emergency periodontist appt for me. But once our hectic week is over, what do we do and where do we go? Like I said, hook me up, ladies!

Jeri

I suggest checking out Home Educators Association of Virginia. Their website is a gold mine of information and you can subscribe to a weekly email newsletter and quarterly magazine (no charge for either). www.heav.org

ETA: I second taking a trip to Mt. Vernon. Homeschool Day is November 4th this year.

http://heav.org/events/homeschooldayevents.html#mount-vernon

Edited by Kathleen in VA

I 'second' subscribing to Sharenet.....it's great.

Will you be looking for any outside classes?

CHESS is great- in Centreville.

FISHE is a hs support group in Fairfax. HOPE is in Manassas.

I just went to Mt. Vernon this past month- awesome- especially with the weather we're going to have this coming week. Hope you missed the awful rain we had for nearly 2 weeks.

By the way- Welcome to VA!

I 'second' subscribing to Sharenet.....it's great.

Will you be looking for any outside classes?

CHESS is great- in Centreville.

FISHE is a hs support group in Fairfax. HOPE is in Manassas.

I just went to Mt. Vernon this past month- awesome- especially with the weather we're going to have this coming week. Hope you missed the awful rain we had for nearly 2 weeks.

By the way- Welcome to VA!

And by two weeks, she means 2 months.

But I'm not bitter.

I'm in Alexandria, but participate in a weekly classical Catholic homeschool mentoring program in Falls Church that goes through 6th grade. Just throwing it out there.

Mt. Vernon is our favorite place in all of NOVA. Claude Moore Colonial Farm is just up the GW Parkway from Mt. Vernon and is wonderful as well.

Hi jeri. I'm not too far from you, but only have ds 15 and a dd 11.

There are many activities where you can meet Homeschoolers. SHARENET will list some. We go to a Homeschool ice skating session in Reston, however the Fairfax Ice rink also has a Homeschool session. Give them a call.

Do you do scouts?

Soccer is really big around here. Braddock Road Youth club would probably be closest for you.

I don't know your faith but there are significant support communities available for some faiths. Check SHARENET.

Also. Check out Fairfax County Parks and Recreation. Search online. Sign up for their quarterly catalog of classes and camps.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Sandra