Menu

Lial's Introductory Algebra - quizzes?

I've been thinking about adding quizzes between the tests in Lial's Intro. Alg. Do you make up weekly quizzes for your dc? Biweekly? How soon after presenting a new topic do you quiz your dc on it? Thanks for any info you can share on how you do this!

I've been thinking about adding quizzes between the tests in Lial's Intro. Alg. Do you make up weekly quizzes for your dc? Biweekly? How soon after presenting a new topic do you quiz your dc on it? Thanks for any info you can share on how you do this!

I do not quiz at all. My kids work the problems in their math books; if they can do them, they know the concept - I see this without giving a quiz. If they can't, they need to practice more until they can.

To test for true mastery, i.e. the ability to remember and apply a concept in the long term (which is what I consider our goal in math) I give one comprehensive final exam at the end of each semester and base their grade on that.

I had originally planned to give quizzes, but so far, I am not seeing a need to do so. We go over her work daily, so that gives me a good idea of her comprehension of the concepts. FWIW, I also thought I'd keep "daily work" grades, but after reading one of Jann in TX posts (she discourages this) I decided not to do that either. So, we are just taking the chapter tests from the book and that seems to be fine.

HTH,

Jennifer