Menu

Singapore and AOPS Pre-Algebra

For those of you who are familiar with both, do you think it would be possible to incorporate both programs? I have used Singapore Standards edition up to DM1 with my older ds and I have another son currently working his way though Singapore 4. I am intrigued with AOPS as I like that it explains the "why" behind how mathematics is done. I would like to be able to use the AOPS (and videos) to explain the why and then continue to use Singapore problems/scheduling.

I have been using both NEM D1 and AoPS algebra. You can do both, but that is a lot of time committed to math (over an hour). My son has actually found AoPS easier to follow and has spent less time on it. I think this is due to the fact that the subject matter we have worked so far has already been covered by NEM. (We are now on the Geometry section of NEM.) If I had to do over I wouldn't change a thing. I really think NEM was a nice entry into AoPS Algebra. I think that a person could switch to Pre-Algebra after 6B without any issues too. Both Singapore and AoPS are intense so I would only double up if your child really loves math. I hope this helps.