Menu

When do you start FLL 1?

Is this first grade? My ds 1st struggles to write, he has low tone and it physically hurts him to write after a short amount of time- could he still successfully do this? I would like to get it for him and get some language lessons started but he is still struggling in Phonics Pathways (forgot the page number but somewhere in the 40's-- not far at all. My k'er is about to pass him, just 2 pages behind) He does really good but its just HARD for him to learn, kwim? Is this recommended even if phonics skills are struggling? I am about to go find samples but thought I would ask here to since I know so many people use it! ;)

We started FLL2 in 2nd grade after not having done FLL1. There is very little writing for the student even in level 2. My son has good phonics skills but I'm not sure it would make a huge difference. We are on lesson 9 or 10 and we've gone over nouns, verbs and memorizing a poem. We do the enrichment activities, which are fun (he loved the linking verb chain), but again, it doesn't require him to write.

I just started with my kindergartner (who just started HOP level 2) FLL1 and there is no reading on the child's part so far, and they don't start copywork until the half-way mark, and the into to the parents say you don't have to do it if the kids aren't ready. It is mostly verbal, from what I have heard, and is more about proper sentence structure, understanding what is being read to them, and learning parts of speech than the child reading on their own or writing their own thing.

You could begin FLL1 with your 1st grader and K'er at the same time. You do the lessons with them orally, and writing (what little there is) is optional, especially if you will be doing a writing program (like WWE) with them at some point. Lessons are short and simple!

Edited by Amie