Menu

CS Lewis experts - Shadowlands?

No, it does focus on the marriage of convenience and how it did lead to love and that part is true. He married her so she and her sons could remain in Britain and he was concerned about their welfare, as a friend.

Joy had two sons, David and Douglas. David was older and though Lewis did attempt to parent him some and be an influence in his life, the reality is that he was late high school almost college aged (trying to remember if he was 17 or 18 when they married) and not all that enthused with Jack. Douglas was the one that formed the close bond with Jack and Major.

The movie neglected the falling out between Lewis and Tolkein, a friendship that was badly wounded for 10 years before it was somewhat repaired - etc.

A lot of important stuff was left out. That said, the movies still makes the romantic in me get weepy and sentimental and I do think Anthony Hopkins made an excellent C.S.

Faith

Thanks, all! We are studying some of his work for our Worldviews/History/Great Books course. We'd like to know more about his life, but don't have time to stuff in another book, so I thought we could use a film to supplement. Your input is greatly appreciated!