Menu

Dh has lost 20lbs in just over a week...

As someone who lost 20lbs in 20 days in the hospital with some of the same issues as your husband, the short answer is NO. Don't try to keep it off. My body was responding to massive trauma and major surgery, it needed food to rebuild. It was not the time to diet, however it also was not the time to OD on icecream sundaes either. A healing body needs lots of lean protein and plenty of fruits and veg. Don't limit the calories, just limit the choices. Make healthy choices and let the body heal and some of the weight will rebound. What you want to do is change the taste buds.

I gained back everything I lost and about 5lbs more after surgery, then 3 years after the weight has slowly fallen off. I'm losing 2-3 lbs per year, most of my friends and siblings are gaining that much....after 10 years?

As someone who lost 20lbs in 20 days in the hospital with some of the same issues as your husband, the short answer is NO. Don't try to keep it off. My body was responding to massive trauma and major surgery, it needed food to rebuild. It was not the time to diet, however it also was not the time to OD on icecream sundaes either. A healing body needs lots of lean protein and plenty of fruits and veg. Don't limit the calories, just limit the choices. Make healthy choices and let the body heal and some of the weight will rebound. What you want to do is change the taste buds.

I gained back everything I lost and about 5lbs more after surgery, then 3 years after the weight has slowly fallen off. I'm losing 2-3 lbs per year, most of my friends and siblings are gaining that much....after 10 years?

This is what we were thinking. He has blood sugar issues as well, that have been worsened by some of the meds he is on. So he's been trying to keep his protein intake up. I didn't mean he was trying to diet...mostly just trying not to tip the scale too much back the other way. It's kind of moot right now...just eating period is an accomplishment :tongue_smilie: