Menu

BJU Video Math

Both of my boys use it (we use the whole-grade kits). DS8 is doing Math 3 and this year's theme is National Parks. So they incorporate really neat facts/pictures about various national parks throughout the lessons. DS7 is doing Math 2, and they're learning about different countries (complete with recipes!). This week's chapter has DS in Mexico, and his recipe was to make mini tacos. They both are really enjoying the math.

While I understand that BJU's Math programs aren't as advanced as others (at the elementary level), what *I* like about it is that it really takes the time to lay a solid foundation for each concept before building upon it. The themes make it interesting for the boys, and they seem to enjoy the lessons a lot.

Our program comes with the usual worksheets, but also includes additional pages that you can print out for practice or for drills. It's a little over-kill, but useful if you need it. HTH. :)

While I understand that BJU's Math programs aren't as advanced as others (at the elementary level), what *I* like about it is that it really takes the time to lay a solid foundation for each concept before building upon it. The themes make it interesting for the boys, and they seem to enjoy the lessons a lot.

I'm glad to see you added in the elementary grades because I have not seen BJU Math being behind in junior high. In fact, their latest edition pre-algebra is really nice. I didn't notice it either when we did 3rd and 5th either but that was several years ago.

I'm glad to see you added in the elementary grades because I have not seen BJU Math being behind in junior high. In fact, their latest edition pre-algebra is really nice. I didn't notice it either when we did 3rd and 5th either but that was several years ago.

I wouldn't have thought it was more or less advanced than any other curricula being used, but I've had a few veteran hs moms tell me that it's not as advanced as others out there. :tongue_smilie: I threw that disclaimer in because that's what I've heard...not necessarily what we've experienced, IMO. :)

Do not, and I repeat Do Not, use BJU 4th grade Math if the teacher is still Mrs Cropsey. She. Is. Awful. :ack2: (I've heard they are re-taping the class, but this is my major warning to any BJU online or dvd Mom.)

Other than that, the BJU classes are great. We've done several different subjects at all different grade levels.

uh-oh. I was looking at grade 3 or 4 (she hasn't take a placement test yet).

Are there any OTHER video-based elementary math programs? We have MUS already, but 8 you DD does NOT like it :( Too bad, because I love it.

Other than TT and MUS, I don't know of any Math class for elementary that has daily lessons. (Maybe DIVE that goes along with Saxon 54, if your dd is ready for middle school math.) I just looked at the distance learning site and Mrs Cropsey is still the 4th grade teacher. Please, please do not subject your child to that class. :sad: Mrs Cropsey may have been great in a classroom but it does not come across on video. (I've heard that she doesn't teach at BJU any more, and the class is O-L-D.)

The 3rd grade Math, however, is taught by Mrs Overly and uses the new 3rd edition books. Mrs Overly is wonderful, and I've heard nothing but good things about the updated textbooks. If your dd places in 3rd, it would definitely be worth a look.

Like I said, I heard over the summer that 4th Math is on the rota to be updated. They finally retaped the Science class that Mrs Cropsey taught, so there's an excellent chance that a new 4th Math will be available soon. The 3rd edition textbook has been out for over a year, and it usually takes at least that long for Distance Learning to catch up to the new editions.

Hth

Thanks for the heads up, Shari. Have you used any of their other classes for elementary school?

• 1 month later...

4th grade Math is in production now. So if you wait until the new catalog (March 1, I believe) then you will get the new recordings. It won't be available in the online format until June 1st as that is when all online classes begin.

And I don't feel that elementary math is behind. My son just finished 2nd grade math and he covered many tables in multiplication and even started on division.