Menu

Does anyone have a warming drawer in their kitchen?

I'm trying to update my kitchen without a complete redo. I need to replace a 27" (which is small) wall oven/microwave combo with something of similar size. I'd really like a double oven, but I don't have enough height for the standard sizes. I don't want a microwave combo again, but I was thinking that maybe a warming drawer would work.

Do you like yours? What kind/how long have you had it? How do you use it? I'm thinking that it would largely get me over the crunch of not enough oven space with big meals.

Thanks,

Beth

We had one in the home we custom built -- we thought it was the best thing we ever did in a kitchen EXCEPT for having TWO dishwashers.

I used the wd all the time -- it was great when we were entertaining and I wanted to keep things warm while I prepared last minute things to go on the table. It also warms plates nicely. I am not a microwave person so I found that the wd was a good addition to the kitchen.

Ours was by Jenn-Air.

We had one in the home we custom built -- we thought it was the best thing we ever did in a kitchen EXCEPT for having TWO dishwashers.

I would love a 2nd dishwasher! (for when everyone's home from school, anyhow)

Just curious--do you also have a double oven? If so, do you find the warming drawer takes some of the load off the 2nd oven?

I would love a 2nd dishwasher! (for when everyone's home from school, anyhow)

Just curious--do you also have a double oven? If so, do you find the warming drawer takes some of the load off the 2nd oven?

Hmmmm, we did have a double oven in that house -- yes, the warming drawer was used ALOT instead of the double oven. We liked it particularly for plates of sliced things that you want to keep warm while the other things (vegetables, etc) are putting placed on the buffet or on the dinner table.

For instance, we hosted a Christmas party for the staff where I taught and their spouses....probably 60 people. We were serving sliced ham that the principal of the school and his wife were providing -- each slice was individually wrapped and frozen (don't ask - it's a long story and involved wedding leftovers) -- I cooked/warmed the ham slices in a sauce in a large pan in the oven. Then transferred all the ham slices to a beautiful serving platter, covered it with foil and put it in the warming drawer. I was able then to get all the ham stuff out of the way, and concentrate on the rest of the meal -- which many of the invitees were bringing - so having the ham out of the way and ready to pop on the table was huge.

The two dishwashers - well, I cannot say enough about them. The best decision we made.

Now, we have an AGA range with three ovens so not having the warming drawer is not a biggie. The side oven of the AGA has a plate rack so dishes can be warmed, and with three compartments, I am not concerned and do not miss the warming drawer. Besides, I love the AGA.