Menu

What age/grade do your dc keep their own agenda/planner?

My dd11 is very independent. She will start her work on her own and work until it's finished in the am. If she has questions, she asks and I help. But, she is otherwise very independent. I give her a weekly schedule and she checks off what she completes. I'm thinking about having her keep her own planner for school next year. Some stuff we will do together w/ the other dc, but some she does alone. Any advice on good student planners? Or, should I just keep doing the weekly assignment sheets for her?

Ds(16) doesn't keep his own planner.

He does put some of the stuff on his iTouch but I have the "master planner." He's not very forth-coming with his stuff (especially electronics, which he thinks I don't know how to use).

The year-end report to the state would be a very unpleasant experience if I didn't have the master planner. (I just have to tell the state what we've done, not how he's done.)

I have a very independent dd too, age almost 14, and I have tried to implement a planner for her but it feels contrived because she doesn't really need one. She has a calendar on her desk with big blank spaces, and she is learning to write in upcoming Scout camps and things like that on it, but not her schoolwork. She has a timetable /schedule on her desk that I made out for her, but she can do her work in any order she chooses. That seems to be enough.

If she is independent and organized, it is worth trying. But I suggest that you keep a duplicate for yourself. That way you can keep track without telling her what to do every week. And, if it doesn't work, go right back to weekly plans!

FWIW, I give my 17 and 15yos weekly lists to check off. My oldest still needs the hand-holding. I don't think that my 15yo still needs it but she likes knowing that I am keeping track of her work.

Another thought - you can make the weekly schedules pretty vague. For example, I will just write Math 4x or French 5x on the schedule - they know what they need to do!