Menu

Changing PSAT test date

I have an email into the College Board but thought someone here might know.

Can a school change the PSAT test date to one that is not listed on the College Board site? What happens if they do? I thought it had to be administered on the Wed or Sat designated for that year (10/12 and 10/15 for 2011).

Thanks.

Did your local school change the date?

We go through a local private school and when I called today to confirm that they were still expecting my high schoolers, he said they changed the date to Wed, 10/17. I told him I didn't think they could do that. I am not about to jeopardize my dd's chance at the NMS because of a technicality. He is a new administrator and is going to check on it.

Ah. I was hoping the admin got his dates and times jumbled. Phooey.

That would have been nice. My guess is that he is thinking of it from just a standardized test perspective and doesn't realize that it is a set date. He hasn't done high school admin before, just college.

I plan to stay in close touch on this one in case I need to switch schools.

As far as I know, he can't change it! Once in a rare while they make an exception, but it's for things like natural disasters... and "they" ok it, not an administrator's decision alone.

That is my understanding as well. I should hear back from the College Board by Monday and if he hasn't called me by then I will be calling him.

Sorry.

College Board never did give me a definite answer but kept telling me to contact the school administrator. Urgh!!!!

But the school did change the date back to Oct 12th so I was relieved.

Many students in that school don't realize that they should be thanking you profusely!!!

I'm glad you were able to stop a potentially really bad mistake...

. . . because they had to evacuate the entire school because of a bomb threat.

It was truly a BIG deal for the counselor to re-schedule it with the PSAT folks. It was 2 weeks later. One consequence was not getting the workbook back.

However, they DID correctly enter ds in the NM Scholarship program, and he was officially a Commended Student.

Just too much drama. I would talk again with the administrator. Another local school MAY take you if they have extra tests.

. . . because they had to evacuate the entire school because of a bomb threat.

It was truly a BIG deal for the counselor to re-schedule it with the PSAT folks. It was 2 weeks later. One consequence was not getting the workbook back.

However, they DID correctly enter ds in the NM Scholarship program, and he was officially a Commended Student.

Just too much drama. I would talk again with the administrator. Another local school MAY take you if they have extra tests.

I think it was just a matter of the administrator not understanding that there are only two dates available unless you go through the change process. Fortunately, they have changed the date back to the 12th.