Menu

Could we revisit Keurigs for a minute?

After hearing a whole bunch of people talking about how much they love their Keurigs, I decided that I wanted one, and I've already put it on my Christmas list. :D

BUT... it has occurred to me that with a Keurig I can't easily adjust the strength of my coffee if I simply use the little premeasured cups. Dh & I like our coffee pretty strong, and I am not going to be happy if we splurge on a Keurig only to find out that the coffee tastes too weak. FWIW, I drink only decaf, and I MUCH prefer flavored coffees to plain. Hazelnut is our "everyday coffee", and our special occasion coffee is usually Christmas blend or caramel flavored. I don't ever buy plain coffee except when my mom visits. I only buy whole bean coffee (usually from Fresh Market, rather than the prepackaged brands in the grocery store).

So, if we get a Keurig, are we going to be able to brew coffee to our liking without having to use extra (and expensive) premeasured cups? Or are we going to have to use the reusable K-Cup filter and use only our own fresh-ground coffee? If so, wouldn't we be better off to just stick with our current coffee maker rather than getting a Keurig? :confused:

Edited by ereks mom

You can get stronger coffees for K. However, I am not sure how strong a decaf cup would be.

So, I will answer: Stay with what you have. I use my K with the Black Magic flavor, and I brew a smaller cup size. I never brew a large because it is too weak for me. I am also a strong coffee lover.

I still brew a pot in the morning. :)

You would probably need to use a kind of My K-Cup insert if you are very particular about your coffee. You could brew the K-cups on the smaller water level to make it stronger but that would get expensive. Why don't you like the idea of the My K-Cup? I love mine. I started with the one from Keurig but my MIL accidentally threw it away. I found a cheaper one on amazon that holds more coffee than the Keurig one does and makes a stronger cup of coffee. I think you could put your own ground coffee in the My K-Cup but I use the bagged stuff so I don't know how that works. I think the Keurig only makes sense if you don't drink a whole pot of coffee most of the time or if you have people who like different types of coffee. Being able to make it more quickly is nice but I don't think that alone is worth the price. I only have 1-2 cups a day and a whole pot would be wasteful. I also use it to make hot water for other things, and iced tea and hot chocolate with K-cups.

Why don't you like the idea of the My K-Cup?

...I also use it to make hot water for other things, and iced tea and hot chocolate with K-cups.

I don't dislike the idea of K-Cups, but I am wondering if it would be worth it to get a Keurig if I'm going to be making the coffee the same way I make it already anyway. To me, the appeal of the Keurig is the convenience of the prepackaged cups, so if I'm going to have to measure & grind my own coffee, I don't see how that would be much different from what I'm already doing with my current coffee maker. It would kind of defeat the purpose of the Keurig, right?

I doubt I would use a Keurig for heating water because we have a Hot Shot that we already use for heating water (FAST) for tea, hot chocolate, instant oatmeal, etc.

Edited by ereks mom