Menu

Good History and Literature program that is cheap?

I really need a good History and Literature program this year, and I have a few supplemental material for English (Rod and Staff, Ambleside Online) and I am also using AO for History as well. But what I really need now is a program that is cheap, yet sufficient and easy to understand because I don't have someone that teaches me.

This year for History I would like to do World History, and then for English British Literature I believe (I did American Lit last year, so this year is British Lit right?). Then next year is Geography and Economics with an emphasis in Government and I don't know what is next year for English, but anyways I am getting sidetracked lol.

Any good History and English programs that won't break the bank?:bigear:

How about using Notgrass World History for both English & History?

You can buy Words Aptly Spoken British Lit from Classical Conversations for about $20 and it's an excellent guide for British Lit. The first half of the books are available free on Gutenburg.

Another inexpensive British Lit is LLATL. It includes poetry and writing lessons. I like Words Aptly Spoken better, but both are good.

I really like BJU for World History, but it's not cheap - the homeschool kit was $125.

ETA: There's another active thread about how to do high school cheaply and someone posted this website: http://www.homeschoolcollegeusa.com/

Check out the Western Civ - there are videos, tests and reading schedule including links to all texts. You can't get any cheaper than free. :)

Edited by amtmcm

How about using Notgrass World History for both English & History?

You can buy Words Aptly Spoken British Lit from Classical Conversations for about $20 and it's an excellent guide for British Lit. The first half of the books are available free on Gutenburg.

Another inexpensive British Lit is LLATL. It includes poetry and writing lessons. I like Words Aptly Spoken better, but both are good.

I really like BJU for World History, but it's not cheap - the homeschool kit was $125.

ETA: There's another active thread about how to do high school cheaply and someone posted this website: http://www.homeschoolcollegeusa.com/

Check out the Western Civ - there are videos, tests and reading schedule including links to all texts. You can't get any cheaper than free. :)

So Notgrass combines British Literature, Bible and World History together? Is that right? It is so cheap!! $90 dollars and I could get all of the books they want from the library, which saves me even more money, and if I can find the books used, even more! And thank you for all of the other links, they look amazing!!

So Notgrass combines British Literature, Bible and World History together? Is that right? It is so cheap!! $90 dollars and I could get all of the books they want from the library, which saves me even more money, and if I can find the books used, even more! And thank you for all of the other links, they look amazing!!

It would be a World Lit instead of Brit Lit credit, but that should be fine. And you'd be free to do Brit Lit next year.

Notgrass doesn't have Brit Lit. Here are some more Brit Lit options to consider:

British Literature Student Book By: James P. Stobaugh

(you'll also need the Teacher Book)

British Literature: Excellence in Literature--Reading and Writing Through the Classics

This is great, thank you so much and I will be using this for next year!! Thank you for all of your help amtmcm!!:)

One of the nice things about lit is that so many of the books are floating around at library book sales, yard sales and even Goodwill. I've also had good luck with Paperback Swap. In fact I just ordered a copy of Les Miserables so I have my own to mark up.

You might also want to check out the thread on Writing With Skill on the Logic board. SWB has been answering some scope and sequence questions there that have delved into the topic of high school level writing. She has some nice book recommendations in her responses.

One of the nice things about lit is that so many of the books are floating around at library book sales, yard sales and even Goodwill. I've also had good luck with Paperback Swap. In fact I just ordered a copy of Les Miserables so I have my own to mark up.

You might also want to check out the thread on Writing With Skill on the Logic board. SWB has been answering some scope and sequence questions there that have delved into the topic of high school level writing. She has some nice book recommendations in her responses.

Thank you for the ideas, I will definitely be looking more into these as I need the cheapest route possible!!:)