Menu

Are these old Landmark books particularly valuable?

This past Saturday was our local library's annual used book sale. I opted for the deal where you get a good-sized box for $5, and you can fill it with as many books as the box will hold. Among quite a few other "treasures", I chose a set of 5 hardcover Landmark books (4 with the original dust jackets) published in the 1950s (all but one appear to be first editions). I have:

• The Hudson's Bay Company by Richard Morenus (1956)
  • Kit Carson and the Wild Frontier by Ralph Moody (1955) (Tucked inside was a letter on Ralph Moody's letterhead; it looks like it was typed on a typewriter, and was signed "Ralph Moody". I'm guessing it's not an original letter, but was mass-produced and a copy was included with each book??)
  • Mr. Bell Invents the Telephone by Katherine B. Shippen (1952, 5th printing)
  • Sam Houston, The Tallest Texan by William Johnson (1953)
  • Gettysburg by MacKinley Kantor (1952) (the only one with no dust jacket)

Are these books particularly rare or valuable or collectible--and therefore deserving of "special treatment"--or should I just put them on the shelf with the rest of our books and enjoy them without worrying about trying to give them extra protection?

FWIW:

http://www.valerieslivingbooks.info/lm.htm

"Condition and title scarcity determine the value of any Landmark book. Books with attractive, original dust jackets or unblemished pictorial covers command higher prices, typically. At this time, perhaps because most collectors are readers, there seems to be no premium placed on First Edition Landmark books."

I picked up a copy of the Landmark book, The Mysterious Voyage of Captain Kidd at a garage sail for 10 cents. Evidently that's the most collectible of the series....I sold it on Ebay for $150.

:D

You know what this means, don't you? I'm going to keep my eye out for years, years I tell you, for this exact book. This will haunt me to the end of my days......:lol: