Menu

Why microscopy?

It may or may not be valuable.

Is he doing it in conjunction with learning the parts of the cell? This is valuable up to a point, but the problem is that many of the cell parts aren't overly visible under a light microscope.

Is he doing something like identifying the different cell types in a plant specimen? That can be pretty cool, but only if he is also learning about the structure of leaves and stems (or whatever). Same with looking for the stages of mitosis--it's only neat if he's also learning about it.

If you're just having him look at a bunch of slides without having it relate to his biology studies, then I can see his point. Even if they are related, I'd pick one or two of the best ones (that really illustrate the topic at hand) and have him mindfully draw and label those.

It may or may not be valuable.

Is he doing something like identifying the different cell types in a plant specimen? That can be pretty cool, but only if he is also learning about the structure of leaves and stems (or whatever). Same with looking for the stages of mitosis--it's only neat if he's also learning about it.

Thank you! He was looking at 4 different plant specimens and comparing them. He has been reading about leaves. But what is the specific connection I should help him make?