Menu

Pennsylvania people: help me plan a last minute field trip!

My husband, 9yo boy and 7 yo girl and I are driving out Thursday to visit my daughter at Grove City College.

We live in NH. To get THERE, we are going straight across NY and down into PA.

We will arrive Friday afternoon and spend the weekend with my dd. We are planning to leave early Monday.

Because I can't keep things simple, I thought maybe we should try to take a couple extra days and stop somewhere. We'll probably drive through Pennsylvania on the way home, although when we did so in August it was a nightmare due to all the construction everywhere.

How far is it to NYC? What's a good town to take the train in from? Should we just try to do somethin fun in PA? Hershey? I did Lancaster in August (what a PAIN that was to get to from her college!)

Philadelphia?

What are your favorite places to visit?

I'd like not to have more than 8-10 hours of driving on our last leg home. We are in southern NH.

Thanks in advance!

If the leaves are turning taking Rt 6 (I think that's the number) across the top of PA is supposed to be one of the prettiest drives in the US. We did it in the summer a few years back and it was pretty. It would head you toward NYC on your way home or check and see if some of the state parks are still open (they should be). PA's "Grand Canyon" is one of them... (just don't expect equal comparisons to AZ's or HI's).

My son is dying to go to the USS Intrepid and also the Museum of Natural History in NYC. hmmmmm decisions decisions...

I think we'd probably drive to Stamford and take the train in to NYC, unless someone can tell me another good place to take the train from??

Just wanted to add that Grove City is gorgeous in the fall! I went to college there. I hope your dd is enjoying it!

She is! She is SO happy and loving every moment!

She had her heart set on going there since her Junior year in high school. She got wait listed and decided to go study for a year in Spain (long story)...then applied as a transfer, and got wait listed AGAIN..she was all enrolled in Wheaton College in IL for this fall when in late July, she got accepted to Grove City. aaaaaahhhh! She's really glad though that she chose Grove City. :)

She is! She is SO happy and loving every moment!

She had her heart set on going there since her Junior year in high school. She got wait listed and decided to go study for a year in Spain (long story)...then applied as a transfer, and got wait listed AGAIN..she was all enrolled in Wheaton College in IL for this fall when in late July, she got accepted to Grove City. aaaaaahhhh! She's really glad though that she chose Grove City. :)

I'm glad she is loving it. Wheaton was my second choice also.. . .of course, for me, that was long ago!

My son is dying to go to the USS Intrepid and also the Museum of Natural History in NYC. hmmmmm decisions decisions...

I think we'd probably drive to Stamford and take the train in to NYC, unless someone can tell me another good place to take the train from??

Both are excellent sites to visit. Favorites of both my son and daughter.

Also go to Times Square (M&M store, Hershey store, really fun Toys R Us (with a giant ferris wheel). Dylans Candy Car is also a ton of fun.

The train is really easy from Stamford (about 1 hour on an express train). Plus there is the mall in Stamford and lots of restaurants within walking distance of most of downtown.

Hershey's fun. There's the amusement park, of course. The streets with the hershey kiss shaped street lamps and cute little stores. Hershey Chocolate World has a free tour plus lots of really neat activities and things you can do....look them up! You can do a 3D show, a free tour, design your own candy bar, and lots more.