Menu

5th Grade Plans

What do you think? Is anything not covered well enough?

Math- AoPS Prealgebra

History- The World in Ancient Times w/Primary Sources Vol. & added lit.

Science- ??????????? Bio

English- MCT Voyage Level (mostly grammar, vocab & poetry)

CW Homer A

need a book list

Latin- Latin Prep 2

Chinese- outside tutor

Music- cont. piano

PE- swimming, baseball

Art- Artistic Pursuits Gr 4-6, Bk 2

Based on the other things chosen here, what would you recommend for science. If necessary I can put together my own, using some units from the McHenry stuff, but I'd rather it all be laid out for me. It has to be secular as well. Thanks.

Edited by littlewigglebutts

What do you think? Is anything not covered well enough?

Math- AoPS Prealgebra

History- The World in Ancient Times w/Primary Sources Vol. & added lit.

Science- ??????????? Bio

English- MCT Voyage Level (mostly grammar, vocab & poetry)

CW Homer A

need a book list

Latin- Latin Prep 2

Chinese- outside tutor

Music- cont. piano

PE- swimming, baseball

Art- Artistic Pursuits Gr 4-6, Bk 2

Based on the other things chosen here, what would you recommend for science. If necessary I can put together my own, using some units from the McHenry stuff, but I'd rather it all be laid out for me. It has to be secular as well. Thanks.

This looks like about what I'm imagining for my kid for 6th! :001_smile: We've got similar choices, but a level below yours (he's in 5th this year). I can tell you, based on that, we liked NOEO for elem, but so far have only tried Biology at the logic level. I didn't love that. I don't know if the problem was that the higher level was too dry, if I hate Bio (I do), or if it's that I ordered the logic AND the elem levels & tried to combine them.

So I'd *cautiously* recommend a look at the logic level Bio, but fwiw--I've switched the sequence around & am doing bio w/ modern hist & physics w/ the ancients. I figure that looking at the pyramids & other great structures is more in line w/ the LEVEL of physics they're covering at that age--levers, etc, whereas bio is more (very slightly more) in line w/ some of the medical discoveries of modern times.

That said, if I had it to do over (& I guess I do in 8th g, lol), I'd go w/ something more medically-based to achieve that goal, & I'd teach whatever they were missing of the systems through that.

Now, to that end, I've noticed that SL offers something like that--medicine-based bio or something? I don't remember exactly except that I thought I should look at it again later when the time is right. But it might have been 3rd g level--I really don't remember the details. HTH at least a little bit.

GL! :001_smile:

You might want to look at Elemental Science's Logic stage Biology. It's really easy to use. You can look at sample pages on the website. We're finishing it up this fall because I only discovered earlier this year. Ds enjoys the experiments, and as long as he has all the materials, he usually sets them up and does them on his own. We get together for the discussion questions and to go over his summaries or outlines.

ETA: I don't mean to change the subject, but I was wondering how you're liking AoPS Pre-Algebra? I'm considering changing math curriculum when ds finishes up his current textbook.

Marilyn

Edited by masaki

I am doing similar things with my 5th grader. We are using Oak Meadow Basic Life Science (it's their 6th grade book). We're only on week 4, so I haven't used it enough to be sure...but so far it's going well. You can find used copies around if you don't want to get it new from Oak Meadow.

Here is a thread where I asked about it and was convinced that it was what I had been looking for.

ETA: You might want to look at Classical House of Learning for you literature book list.

We're using Exploration Education for science this year. It's all laid out for you - my dd does it on the computer herself. Assessments are on the computer and also in a log book. Then there is an experiment every day, and all the materials are included in a box, and she can put them together herself. Yay! It only has Physical Science, though.