Menu

Teaching Multiple Levels of Kids!

jeffcolemanfamily

How many of you with large families have figured out how to teach multiple levels of kids? And if so, what are your secrets to success?

Here's how our day looks...

7-8 am breakfast/chores/dressed

9 am Start school {memory work altogether in the livingroom... Classical Conversations. We end with Geography and maps and singing our States/capitals song}

9:30 am: SOTW history, altogether at the kitchen table. They color and listen to the CD while I get Right Start math pages copied, put together for math lessons.

10 am: MATH. {This is my hardest part here. My 11 year old moves right into her Saxon 6/5 math lessons on her own. I just check her work when she's done. My 9 year old son needs his hand held through math as well but I am usually busy teaching my 8, 7, and 5 year old with Right Start Math B which takes forever and all my undivided attention so I feel like he is getting short changed.} My 5 year old is also struggling through the Right Start lessons. She loves it and has fun but I know she's not getting it because she looks at her sisters for the answers to any question I ask.

11 am: Reading out loud to Mom. Everyone takes their turn reading with me. I start with the youngest and work my way up. I start with my 4 year old, reading to him and have him tell me back a story. Then I move to the 5 year old who reads out of one of her phonics readers. The 7 year old has two readers and she picks which one to read to me. The 8 year old is dyslexic and in a remedial reading program. She reads in her phonics book and the reader her therapist has given her. The oldest kids' start their reading on their own with their readers and when I join them, they read a page or two to me. I do this so I know what problems/issues they are having with reading. I ask the older kids about what they have read so far and I have questions from the SL reader guide so I know whether they are comprehending or not. This feels very disjointed however as everyone is all over the house and the younger ones create chaos wherever they are going while I work one on one with another of the kids.

12 noon: Lunch

1pm: 4 year old down for nap. Grammar and IEW writing with my 9 and 11 year olds. Appointments to the vision therapist, reading therapist or ballet or guitar lessons. On the days when I DON'T have appointments I use this time to do teach my 5 and 7 year old using Primary Arts of Language Reading and Writing and with my 5 year old I also do All About Reading Pre Level. {unfortunately, this is only 3 days per week due to our schedule in the afternoons which is not ideal.}

4 pm: swimming / play outside / ballet lessons

6 pm: dinner

7 pm: chores/ready for bed

8pm: Reading time

9 pm Bed

*I am also having trouble fitting science in there. We do great science experiments at CC on Fridays, but I need to squeeze in some Science reading. I also have not required much writing from my 5, 7 , and 8 year olds as I have been focusing on the older kids.

Any suggestions? Tips? I schedule things and try to go about our day the best that I can, but I still feel like I am falling short here!

Is there any way you could do math with your older child later in the day and have them do some independent work while you do RS with the littles? That way you can give that DC your full attention on a very important subject. That might make your day a little better. It seems like you have a good schedule worked out though! I am always interested in these theads because we have three kids so far, but I am sure we will have more (at least I hope so!).

Thanks Kristie. That makes sense. I have been trying to do the subjects all at the same time, for ease of my own brain and for being more "classically minded" as well and just for ease of a big family schedule. But you're right. I need to focus on the math with him without interruptions. I wonder if I can have my 11 year old working with the younger ones after lunch?

Thanks!

We would never be able to make it work here if we moved from subject to subject together...for the same reason it is not working for you. There is just no way to do math with everyone at the same time. What works here is to separate maths throughout the day and have the other kids working independently during those times. I have a schedule that shows everyone when I am available to help them with math, Latin, whatever. The kids cycle through with me and then head off to complete independent work as they are able. It is definitely a much more efficient use of time than having all the kids queued up waiting for me.

Also, I am not familiar with Rightstart, but if your 5 year old is having trouble keeping up she should probably be doing something more appropriate for her level.

My older kids do take turns playing with/helping the littler ones throughout the day, as well, which really helps me.

HTH,

Thanks Kristie. That makes sense. I have been trying to do the subjects all at the same time, for ease of my own brain and for being more "classically minded" as well and just for ease of a big family schedule. But you're right. I need to focus on the math with him without interruptions. I wonder if I can have my 11 year old working with the younger ones after lunch?

Thanks!

I think that would be really great. He could read them stories or do a craft with them!

Hi, Steph,

My 9 and 10 year old boys I school together they are doing all the same subj. except for math, one uses MUS/TT and the other only MUS. Other than math I do Shurley English, Simply Spelling, Hideaways in History and A Nature Walk with Aunt Bessie together.

My 12yr. does a lot on her own. I purchased the AG dvds for her but we do go over it together. She watches the MUS dvd and does this on her own as well. If she doesn't understand it, then I will go over it with her either in the evening or in between my teaching sessions.

In order to fit in the teacher intensive stuff {WWE 1,2 &3, PAL/Reading/Writing, Delightful Reading, Math for Lance etc.} I made me a schedule in 30 minute blocks. I am not a slave to the schedule but it helps me stay on track. If I missed a session with someone I'm okay with that, we'll pick it up the next day.

I use tickets to keep my kiddos on track. Once they finish a subject completely, put all the books away for that subj. they get a ticket. Once they earn a certain amount of tickets they can have a shake or kids meal from a restaurant ;). This is something new that I have implemented and it has really motivated my two middle boys to get their independent work done {MCP Phonics, spelling dictation, math etc}.

This year I purchased WinterPromise Hideaways in History for my 10, 9, 8 and 7yr. old boys. I do combine this but in the past I would use SOTW cds for history. I didn't use the activity pages or supplements because I didn't have time {I know that sounds horrible}. I would purchase lots of good audio books for them to listen to. It worked well for us.

I learned to let go in some areas during certain seasons of our homeschool journey.

I also look over the material the night before and make copies, notes etc. or over the weekend. This way I don't have to worry about this during our school day.

I no longer {for the most part} use the computer during school hours.

And lastly, I take advantage of using the computer for school. I have two using TT, three using MUS, Two using Analytical Grammar dvd, 1 using Systematic Math and my oldest is now using Bob Jones Distance Learning dvds.

I don't feel guilty {anymore;)} about using dvds/cd because it frees me up to use WWE, AAS, teach phonics and reading, do math with my younges, teach English to my four younger ones, IEW etc.

I'm still checking all their work, so I do know how my children are doing and where they are at in their studies. I'm still a big part of their teaching.

My kids are 13, 12, 10, 9, 8 and 7.

Anyway, sorry it got so long but wanted to give an example of how we do things. We pull ideas from WTM, CM, Literature and the traditional textbooks to make it work here :001_smile:

:grouphug:

Linda

Edited by Homeschooling6

I have to make a MOTH (detailed - every person in 30 min increments) schedule yearly. Then tweak it a lot. This year its turned out to be a staggered schedule, but it took a lot of work. I wrote down what they had to do, how long it might take, how much of my attention was required. Then what my littles could do.Then just move the papers until they fit. Do we follow the schedule daily? No, but 1) I know we can get it done if we are diligent and 2) if we follow the schedule my days are SO nice. So far I've staggered subjects, but I'll have to tweak that now that DS9 will be going back to MEP (I have to teach about 15m of that).

In case it helps, a snippet of our schedule for the last few weeks:

9yo SWR w/ mom -- Spelling City -- Latin w/ Mom --- Math (ind)

7yo dishes ------ SWR w/ mom ----- Spelling City -- Latin/Math w/ Mom

5yo dishes ------ room ---------- toys ------------- table time

2yo finish food -- toys --------- room/mom --------- table time

I basically like our schedule now, but I'm going to move our group subjects to the morning, instead of before lunch. We seem to be slow starters in the morning, so I'm hoping to do group work, then start workboxes around 10.

My best idea this year: 7yo and 5 yo do dishes first thing while I work 1-on-1 with my 9yo.

I find it generally works better for me to do blocks of time with each child, not blocks of subjects. So, after our morning together-time, I then work with my youngest through math and LA until done, then go to the next oldest etc. Meanwhile, the next oldest child does what she can on her own until I am ready to work with her. I can then check what has been done, discuss readings etc. Once my youngest is done with me, he can go and do computer math, play, whatever.

As for science, maybe it would work to do SOTW 3 days a week, and science reading in that same time-slot on the other two days. That way, you haven't added any more time to your day schedule, but you still cover both subjects. Just a thought.

Sorry if I've doubled up too much on other's replies. :)