Menu

A couple of more WWS questions?

I am looking through my IEW stuff and comparing so please help me with some of my questions. All I have to go off of for WWS right now is the 7 week sample.

Is paragraph construction taught in WWS? You know topic sentence, etc.

Also, I like IEW a lot, but I seem to need something a little more open and go. However, what brings me back to IEW is that I can use what we are already studying for the content of our writing. How are you applying WWS across the curriculum?

My DD is working through PR3 now (getting ready to start the 2nd half and doing WWS. She did IEW last year and I had originally planned to use IEW US History this year. I will save that for our next rotation. WWS is covering the things I think we need to focus on to prepare for high school and uses a variety of sources, lit, science, history, etc.

All I have to go off of for WWS right now is the 7 week sample.

Is paragraph construction taught in WWS? You know topic sentence, etc.

How are you applying WWS across the curriculum?

Do you know that you can request a 20-week sample?

Paragraph construction - one of my kids is up to week 5, and the way I see paragraph construction being taught is via outlining. Now, so far it's just one-level outlining, but this child has already done up to four-level outlining, so I know that outlining requires analysis of paragraphs, which is helpful in construction. (I am having him go through WWS quickly, because there are things in it that he has never done, and things that will help him write better narrations.) Topic sentences - interestingly, WWS mentions topic sentences just so the student knows that some good paragraphs contain topic sentences. But it also mentions that other good paragraphs don't have topic sentences. I found that interesting, because R&S taught us that all paragraphs must have topic sentences. But, I see the point about it in WWS. It's actually kind of a relief to know that, esp. when outlining paragraphs, because topic sentences aren't always obvious, yet it's important to be able to find the main topic of a paragraph (esp. for studying).

Applying WWS across the curric. - we haven't officially started doing that yet, as we are still getting into a groove for the fall after being away for a few weeks in August. However, I plan to. And however, my ds has already done this, because he has been learning outlining for the past three years, and has been applying it across the curriculum simply by outlining from various science and history books. But applying the skills learned in WWS will make his writing much more interesting to him, because there is so much more in WWS than in SWB's logic stage writing lecture.

hth

lewelma... I am definitely thinking that it depends on the curriculum you have for the other subjects. We already do quite a bit of writing with CC and some WWS. Dd10 is using History Odyssey Level 2 Middle Ages. That particular curriculum has been helpful, because it schedules in outlining, summaries & reports for particular lesson days. So, dd might spend one week researching Charlemagne, and then use WWS style techniques to outline & write and that will be her history for the week.