Menu

Telling a SN child that "you" does not mean "you"

distancia

Can anyone empathize?

When using the word "you" in a sentence I don't always mean "you", I mean "one". But dd hears it as you, directed towards her. She takes everything literally and personally.

So now when I am speaking to her I find myself in the middle of a sentence having said "you", then correcting myself and starting again to say "one", and halfway through that sentence I realize I would be better off with saying "a person" and try again.

Essentially I repeat myself 3 times and my throat is very sore.

Pronouns can be so hard for SN kids, can't they? :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

When I opened up this thread, I thought it was going to be about mixing up "you" and "I" when responding. My 2nd took quite a long time to overcome that. I'd ask, "Do you want some milk?" and he'd answer, "You want milk" instead of changing the pronoun to "I". Totally frustrating but he did eventually get it straight in his mind.

Distancia,

I post this very gently and I hope you will hear it w/the genuine concern which I am attempting to express. Your dd is an adult and the accumulation of all of your posts between the SN, college, and high school board exemplify that she really needs intervention in order to be able to function completely as an independent adult.

While a lack of generalization w/pronouns at home might not seem like a big issue, in a career it might cause quite a lot of issues. As an adult completely on her own, wouldn't it be better if she had the tools to help figure these out by herself? Developing skills like these are important.

I want to encourage your daughter to have full-battery testing done and seek targeted interventions. Finding appropriate resources for a young adult can be quite difficult. Getting her on board to be willing to seek evaluation might actually be harder. But, the life-time benefits will make it worth the effort. She needs to be able to learn how to interpret nuanced communication or it will limit her eventually.