Menu

Elementary Spanish on Discovery Streaming

Monarch Room

How many lessons per week do you watch? I love having the videos, so that ds can hear the proper pronunciation. I think we are probably working through it too quickly. Does anyone know at which pace the lessons were intended to go for the 1st/2nd grade level?

We also have Homeschool Spanish, but haven't started adding it in yet because I'm waiting for the daily curriculum guide to come out for it.

How many lessons per week do you watch? I love having the videos, so that ds can hear the proper pronunciation. I think we are probably working through it too quickly. Does anyone know at which pace the lessons were intended to go for the 1st/2nd grade level?

We also have Homeschool Spanish, but haven't started adding it in yet because I'm waiting for the daily curriculum guide to come out for it.

Sorry to interrupt the main topic of this thread, but what is the daily curriculum guide? I've been considering adding Homeschool Spanish as well.

Thank you!

I am not sure how many lessons we did but dd went through the spanish 1-2 level in one year. Now she works through 1 lesson a week of the next level. She is also working out of Spanish for Children and watching salsa videos. My 13 year old is watching the Destinos series and she watches and seems to be able to follow the story. So at this point we are doing a mix. If she weren't getting so much other exposure to Spanish I might have her watch more episodes weekly. Last year she almost watched an episode a day sometimes. She is really into it.

I like ES because it is a good balance of immersion and translation. My eldest also worked through the first 50 episodes of educacion espan(y)ola. (anyone know how to type the other "n"? There has got to be a way.)

I've scheduled it for twice a week, although I'm not 100% consistent on that. Sometimes we watch more, sometime less. I have Elementary Spanish grades 1-2 outlined if you want to see them all on one page.

I was doing it three times, and wondered if that was a bit much to keep up with the vocabulary. Have you added in Homeschool Spanish to it all? I have seen your list. It is super helpful, as I don't find the search to be very accurate on Discovery. My son thinks that Satori is going to be famous someday :)

Sorry to interrupt the main topic of this thread, but what is the daily curriculum guide? I've been considering adding Homeschool Spanish as well.

Thank you!

I got an email saying that the author is writing a curriculum guide, but it isn't out yet. I'm looking forward to it, as I can't really figure out how to implement the program as it is written.

I am not sure how many lessons we did but dd went through the spanish 1-2 level in one year. Now she works through 1 lesson a week of the next level. She is also working out of Spanish for Children and watching salsa videos. My 13 year old is watching the Destinos series and she watches and seems to be able to follow the story. So at this point we are doing a mix. If she weren't getting so much other exposure to Spanish I might have her watch more episodes weekly. Last year she almost watched an episode a day sometimes. She is really into it.

I like ES because it is a good balance of immersion and translation. My eldest also worked through the first 50 episodes of educacion espan(y)ola. (anyone know how to type the other "n"? There has got to be a way.)

Thanks for writing this. You've given me more to look into :) We have family living in Spain, so we'd love to take learning the language seriously.

How do you get to info about this, and how much does that cost? Just curious sorry to interrupt.;)

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to quote more than one post yet, hence the million responses :o

I signed up for the g3 discussion forums that included Discovery Streaming (elementary Spanish is one of the many videos you can watch), Brainpop and Brainpop jr. for $59.

We do one lesson per week but she watches it twice and the third time she does the activity included first then watches the video. This seems to work for us because she is retaining a lot.

DD loves these videos and has never complained about watching the same one 3x.

This isn't a bad idea. I was thinking he wasn't retaining as much as I wanted, so it would be a good idea to repeat some.