Menu

A.D.D. Info and Advice needed

Today I was watching my daughter struggle with working on her writing. She looked at the page, then the back of her fingers, the pencil, up at me, the table we work at, and then back to the page. She *struggled* to stay on task. Everything just kinda clicked and I thought "What if she has ADD? She's not bouncing around so I don't think she's hyper".

It took about twenty minutes of calling around to find the right people. She has an appointment next week to see our GP about being evaluated.

I'm not big on long term pills for kids this young, but if it makes her feel better then I'd be all for it.

ADD moms, any advice or websites I should check out?

My son has ADHD, but there are some similarities.

Advice? Let her learn the way she learns best. Understand that ADD is why she does some of the things she does, but don't let it become an excuse. Be honest and open with her about her ADD, in an age appropriate manner.

I would look into books by these two men:

http://www.russellbarkley.org/

http://www.drhallowell.com/add-adhd/

I had ds read this book, and it really helped him see that 1) he's not alone, and 2) there are things he can do to help himself deal with his ADHD.

HTH

There is alot of info out there about how ADD can present differently in girls and often is not diagnosed until later. My DD 12 was diagnosed last year with ADD (without hyperactivity). It has made a huge difference in how we handle things, as well as how she views herself. We are doing medication, but I think the attitude and behavior adjustments have been just as important.

You are doing the right thing to get it checked out.